Instability PSoC Creator 3.1

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Since having installed the new PSoC 3.1 (SP1) I'm having stability problems with PSoC Creator. The builds (if working) are taking ages and now and then a Visual C++ 'assertion failed' window pops up (see attachment).

Does anyone else recognize this behavior? PSoC 3.0 worked like a charm.

I have a PSoC 4 (CY8C4xxx family). I've updated the KitProg firmware to version 2.11 using the PSoC programmer. Can I go back to using PSoC Creator 3.0 or is this not possible with the new KitProg firmware? (I do have a backup of my project from PSoC Creator 3.0).

I run Windows 7 and still have PSoC 3.0 installed. Any advice would be much appreciated, I have to finish my thesis using PSoC Creator! Thanks..

Caspar

0 Likes
23 Replies
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

I have not seen such sluggishness or assertion error messages so far. You might create a support case (top right menu, 'MyCases'), maybe Cypress can help you better.

I also don't know whether the new KitProg firmware is compatible with Creator 3.0. It might be worth a try, since Creator 3.1 and 3.0 can co-exist. If it doesn't work, it should be possible to install the older firmware again.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

The assertion you posted has to do wth the on-line code checker named "Clang" which flags errors and helps code completion while you are typing. There is a known bug (NO JOKE!) that removes assertions when you add some empty lines to the end of your source.

Bob

0 Likes
WaMa_286156
Level 5
Level 5
First comment on blog 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Bob is right.  From the source code:

http://clang.llvm.org/doxygen/SourceManager_8cpp_source.html

00579   assert(NextLocalOffset + FileSize + 1 > NextLocalOffset &&
00580          NextLocalOffset + FileSize + 1 <= CurrentLoadedOffset &&
00581          "Ran out of source locations!");
00582   // We do a +1 here because we want a SourceLocation that means "the end of the
00583   // file", e.g. for the "no newline at the end of the file" diagnostic.
00584   NextLocalOffset += FileSize + 1;

so, add a couple of lines at the end of your c file.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! I have succeeded in reverting to PSoC Creator 3.0 (even with the updated KitProg), but I'll also try to make use of the hidden 'feature' in 3.1 and get rid of the assertions.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Bob... I had the same problem and it is solved now

It is really a strange solution, but it worked 🙂

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Wow! Very strange. Added a header file and got the assertion error after typing "#define". The extra lines solved it. Thanks for the tip.   
0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

There is an explanation for that bug.

Creator uses an on-line code checker named "Clang" (a name that could have been invented by Terry Pratchet ) which also provides information on variables, functions and all that which pops up for code completion) There was a bug in interfacing Clang when reading a comment just before end-of-file. This will probably be repaired with Creator 3.2.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually, Cypress support told me to remove the following strings from all files (including ALL auto-generated files):

/* [] END OF FILE */ 

I confirmed that the only way I could seem to avoid the Clang crash is to follow the Cypress support's recommendation.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even after replacing all instances of * [] END OF FILE */ from the workspace (find and replace feature), I still get the clang crash.  Please see attached picture.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even after replacing all instances of * [] END OF FILE */ from the workspace (find and replace feature), I still get the clang crash.  Please see attached picture.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am still running into this in 3.2, and was advised of the workaround discussed here.  I think it's amazing that this bug was not discovered before the product release, since eveb the auto-generated codes trip this problem 

PSoC Creator  3.2 SP1 (3.2.0.6175)
Culture: English (United States)
OS Version: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
CLR Version: 2.0.50727.5485

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I work with Parallels Desktop V11 on iMac. I have the same problem in a virtual XP or Win 10. 

The same project works well on a virtual XP in VMWare Fusion V8.0  without problems.

Any idea ?

0 Likes
lock attach
mattl_01
Employee
Employee
100 replies posted 50 replies posted 25 replies posted

Hey folks,

I apologize for all the problems people have had with this. It is "Fixed" in PSoC Creator 3.3.  I put Fixed in quotes because what we have done is to workaround the CLANG defect.  You can download 3.3 now from cypress.com/creator.  As usual, you don't have to uninstall 3.2 if you are in the middle of something. It can co-exist with 3.2 or 3.1 or 2.X.

There are a bunch of cool new features in 3.3 including a "New Project" wizard that allows you to start from a code example or target a specific kit you have installed. There is also guided pin selection for PSoC 4, an enhanced code example browser, and a resource meter (yay).  You can read more at the bottom of cypress.com/creator (the What's New tab).  I also attached a copy of the Release Notes.

--Matt

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Matt,

>> It is "Fixed" in PSoC Creator 3.3.  I put Fixed in quotes because what we have done is to workaround the CLANG defect. 

Not really ;-(

The problem exists only with Parallels Desktop. (in my case)

--Reiner

0 Likes
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, Embed Image not work

0 Likes

Hey Reiner,

Well, this is bad.  By any chance is your project on a network/shared drive?  There is another issue which we have not been able to work around.  It's a CLANG issue that is apparently a very big deal to fix.

0 Likes
mattl_01
Employee
Employee
100 replies posted 50 replies posted 25 replies posted

If anyone is using 3.3 and having this problem ("Assertion failed!" in the editor), feel free to email me and the team at psoc_creator_feedback@cypress.com.  For other technical support issues, please continue to use cypress.com/support.

--Matt

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Matt,

yes, my project is on a network drive. I think, i use VM-Ware at the Moment. Is not a big problem.

Thank you for your efforts.

--Reiner

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

@Reiner

There have been programming issues reported when using vmware, so take care of that. I use Creator 3.3 on a win7 machine and never had any issues so far. A vista machine sometimes shows some idiosyncrasies but I don't think Creator is to blame.

Bob

PS: Reiner, where are you located in Germany? I live near Bremen.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Bob,

i only have Macs, so i can program PSoC in Win-emulations (Parallels - with occasionally clang-problems. vmware - works fine but not so fast as Parallels). The host-system is XP.  

I can live well with this configurations.

Reiner

PS: I live near Wolfsburg. Bremen I know well. 

I hope we meet some time in our German forum http://www.psoc-community.de

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Reiner -

I was having the same problem with Parallels. Your hint lead me to store the projects in the C:/ drive instead of a location that was shared with the host OS. So far, that has resolved all of the problems I was having with things crashing.

Perhaps you might find similar results.

Michael

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Michael,

Thx for this hint. I will test it. But I'm not happy about store my projects in virtual environment;-( 

I have test to convert a complete VM Win 10 installation inkl. Creator etc. in a Parallels File. First tests shows no problems (except missing win10 activation in parallels). But it is too early for a final statement. 

Reiner

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Michael

I think, i have found the problem with Parallel. It seems, that it is a problem with Parallels Shared Folders. When i map my PSoC WorkDir with ParallelSharedFolder eg \\Mac\myPsocWorkDir i have the clang-problem. But amazing, when i map the same dir directly eg \\IP_fromMyMac\myPsocWorkDir, it works without problems;-) (for several hours)

Maybe it works on your Mac

Reiner

0 Likes