What connector to use on the target board for programming the chip

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I am considering making a design with a PSOC 4 microcontroller.

If I want to use the miniprog3 to program it, what connector can I use on the board?

for the 10 pin connector, the documentation indicates the part FTSH-105-01-L-DV-K

Although I can find it on Digikey, it is a bit expensive, and Mouser doesn't have it.

Are there any alternatives?

And what about the 5 pin connector? I had similar lack of success finding it. Is it possible to use common header pins for that?

Thank you,

Jacques

0 Likes
5 Replies
GuNo_288966
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 10 questions asked

You can use a standard 5 pin pinhead. E.g. on the PSoC 4200 prototyping kit, you can solder the pinhead to the marked area (P3.2, P3.3, RESET, GND, P4VDD) and connect the Miniprog-3 directly. Be careful to connect it the right way (LEDs on Miniprog facing towards the board).

You are right, the recommended connector is expensive and sometimes difficult to get. I have made a tiny board that interfaces the standard 10 pin 1.0mm ribbon cable to a 10 pin 1.27mm ribbon cable. Using this, I can use a standard 2x5 pin 2.54mm connector to program and debug the PSoC. The advantage is that the 2x5 pin connector can have a coding to prevent false connecting.

The cables should be as short as possible. The longer the cables are, the more likely you get problems during debugging. A better solution would be to connect the tiny board directly to the Miniprog3.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much for your detailed answer!

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

You may use common header pins to connect a miniprog3 for programming and debugging. Fastest and cheapest solution, standard spacing (2.54mm,0.1")

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your answer!

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are making your own PCB, a zero-cost alternative which takes much less board space is just to place five pads in a row near the board edge and then make a "pogo pin" jig to make contact with this. Pogo pins (also known as "bed of nails" connectors) can be got cheaply on Ebay, I have standardized on 2.54mm spacing with the ground pad through hole to help locating the Jig and the rest just on one side leaving the other side free for surface mount components and tracks.

I use the following order: VDD; GND; XRES; SWDCLK; SWDIO, the same as the Molex KK pin header fitted to some Cypress development boards. This connector is also an option of course, and cheap and easily available, but it takes up far too much space for my taste!

0 Likes