OTA Failing to run uploaded App

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
grphc_1578046
Level 4
Level 4
10 likes received First like received First like given

I have built and tested the OTA using the ISM43362_M3G_L44 using the instructions in the the WICED 3.1.2 notes. The downloaded application works and I am able to upload the snip-scan stripped.elf image and control transfers successfully to this program and then runs. Output below

------------------------------------------

Writing chunk 291 of size 544 from offset 296960

Uploaded file size = 297504

Restarting..

Starting WICED v3.1.2

Platform ISM43362_M3G_L44 initialised

Started ThreadX v5.6

Initialising NetX_Duo v5.7_sp1

Creating Packet pools

WWD SDIO interface initialised

WLAN MAC Address : C4:7F:51:01:1B:2F

WLAN Firmware    : wl0: Nov  7 2014 16:03:45 version 5.90.230.12 FWID 01-8da0c768

Waiting for scan results...

# Type  BSSID             RSSI  Rate Chan  Security    SSID

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Infra 08:86:3B:71:A5:C4  -93 144.4    1  WPA2 AES    belkin.5c4                      

etc.....

---------------------------------------------

When I download my working App (.stripped.elf) the app does not start but restarts the OTA upgrade process.

------------------------------------------------

Writing chunk 835 of size 1024 from offset 854016

Writing chunk 836 of size 340 from offset 855040

Uploaded file size = 855380

Restarting..

Starting WICED v3.1.2

Platform ISM43362_M3G_L44 initialised

Started ThreadX v5.6

Initialising NetX_Duo v5.7_sp1

Creating Packet pools

WWD SDIO interface initialised

WLAN MAC Address : C4:7F:51:01:1B:2F

WLAN Firmware    : wl0: Nov  7 2014 16:03:45 version 5.90.230.12 FWID 01-ada8e728

Hi, I'm the Production App (ota_fr).

Watch while I toggle some LEDs ...

Time for an upgrade. OTA upgrade starting ...

Setting IPv6 link-local address

IPv4 network ready IP: 192.168.10.1

-----------------------------------------------------------

Could you give me some indication regarding what could be going wrong here.

The end goal is to trigger the OTA process from my app and have that provide the ability to upgrade the app via OTA

Assistance would be appreciated. What is the total size of the App. I see the end of FLASH in the map file @  0x080d1640 so seem we still have some space....

Thanks

Greg

0 Likes
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

What is the size of your external flash? My guessing is that your running out of memory. Try adding up the size of the OTA_FR application , DCT (8K) and the size of your new application and see if they fit all together in the external serial flash.

Another test is to comment the factory reset line in the snip/apps/ota_fr.mk

FR_APP    := $(OUTPUT_DIR)/binary/$(CLEANED_BUILD_STRING).stripped.elf

this will not add the factory reset in your external flash, this is only for test purposes not for production off course ( you can risk having a dead board in case of a failed upgrade)

Regards,

Bassem

0 Likes

Hi Bassem,

Thanks for the reply. The external Flash is 1MB. I am not loading up the external flash with my application. I am trying to download the application to replace the ota_fr app that is installed. I dumped resulting image from the ARM controller and it looks like it is not loading the image there.

From my review of the map we have >100K spare space available when loaded on the AR controller and i dump the data off using the ST-LINK JTAG board i see that the program ends at 0xd2233 - so still lots of memory available.

Thanks Greg

0 Likes

Check the BOOTLOADER_BUTTON_GPIO defined in platform.h first!

Make sure the GPIO defined in BOOTLOADER_BUTTON_GPIO it is not been used in another purpose!

And keep the GPIO in de-active state!

Regards,

Jone

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Try commenting the HAS_OTA define in the platform.h for your work and see if this would get you working for now.

Regards,

Bassem

0 Likes