FX3 DVK Board issue programming/booting from SPI flash

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am trying to get SPI boot to work on the DVK board. I already have setup the PMODE pins to 1F0, to boot from SPI and on fail boot via USB. The Jumpers 101,102,103,104 are all set to [2<->3].

When I try to upload a firmware .img file through the Cypress Control Center, I can see on the lines SCK and SSN that the upload is in progress, but the SPIMISO and SPIMOSI lines are all the time low. The same issue I can see after I press the reset button on the FX3 DVK board. FX3 is trying to load data from the SPI flash. The SSN and SCK is working fine but the MOSI and MISO also always low.

The resistors R246 and R252 are both not on the board as described in the ...

CYUSB3KIT-001 EZ-USB FX3 Development Kit Guide, Doc. #: 001-70237 Rev. *B

.. document.

I also have the same result when I upload the firmware through j-link debugger. Is there a hardware failure or are the GPIO pins defect?

thanks,

lumpi

0 Likes
9 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am using FX3 DVK board:

FX3 DVK DEVICE BOARD REV3

PCB: 600-60015-01 REV03

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hei Lumpi

I have the same dev kit and i have no problems. But i set the PMODE to 0F1 and not 1F0. How did u set the jumpers J96 J97 J98 and the dip switch SW 25?

My settings are:

J96 2<->3

J97 open

J98 2<->3

SW25 1 OFF

SW25 2 OFF

SW25 3 ON

Best regards

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lumpi,

Yes, PMODE setting should be 0F1 as Chrigu rightly pointed out in the above post.

Thanks,

sai krishna.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

thanks Chrigu and Sai Krishna I already have set the boot mode to that option. The problem is, that I get SPI CLK and SPI SSN signal but I do not get any signals on MOSI or MISO of SPI.

That is the case when I try to upload firmware to SPI flash or if I run application which was uploaded through j-link debugger. Now I will try to upload a firmware which overrides the MISO and MOSI as a simple GPIO if the pins can drive a signal. Otherwise I really belief that the dvk board is defect.

regards,

lumpi

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

now I tried it again and got it twice to work. So the SPI flash had the correct firmware flashed. But after a few reset, it won't work and it seems all the time, that the MOSI pin has a problem.

Anybody here had also issues with the MOSI pin???

thanks,

lumpi

I will try to replace the DVK board with a new one, may be there is the problem.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Can you please try loading any of the SPI examples from FX3 SDK (like USBFlashProg/ SPIRegmode/ etc) and try reading the contents of SPI flash using vendor command? Please test if you are able to read consistently from the SPI flash; and ensure that every tie you read using the SPI read vendor command the values returned are correct.

Regards,

Gayathri

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Gayathri,

I already have opened a support case on the cypress homepage and I will get a replace. Case No. is 1911605208.

thanks,

lumpi

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I got yesterday a new dvk board and now it works 😉

thanks for support,

lumpi

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable