programming of I2C EEPROM AT24C1024B failed - while using control center

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am using the FX3 DVK board with atmel's i2c eeprom AT24C1024B. I am using control centre to program the eeprom. My switch SW40 is off, on,on,off.  all jumpers are correctly placed.

However when I try to load the USBBulkLoopAuto .img file I always get the error message : programming the I2C EEPROM failed.

I have followed everything that is there in the documents and still I have the same problem.

This is the first time I am using this board and I was not able follow the elf2img thread. I need help with programming the EEPROM.

Should I change anything in the USBBulkLoopAuto example before I generate the .img file? 

Should I change any other connections  or any other information?

Regards,

Kavya

0 Likes
9 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Kavya,

you should configure your PMODE pins to

PMODE[2..0]

float1float I2C, On Failure, USB Boot is enabled

or

1floatfloat I2C only

Then the I2C device address should be 0xA0 I think. So the switch SW40 should hold all lines to ground. Read the application note from cypress (AN68914 I2C Boot Option).

regards

lumpi

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The PMODE configuration is described in the data sheet of FX3.

You also have to change the post build step to create a .img file which contains the correct boot informations. See AN68814...

http://www.cypress.com/?docID=31024

go to the Table 5 and choose the correct settings for the elf2img converter for

- bImageCTL

- bImageType

regards

lumpi

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I had made the correct PMODE settings before I loaded the FX3BootAppGcc.img file onto the EEPROM without any change in the file( and the programmign was successful). I think I made a mistake by not following any post build steps or changing the descriptors for the EEPROM. Now my device is not enumerating and an unknown device with a PID of 1005 is detected.

What can I do to erase the EEPROM now that my PC is not recognizing the device at all? I hope you can help me as soon as possible.

Why was the EEPROM programmed for a smaller img file(27KB) and not for 121KB img file even though max size is 128KB?

Thanks & Regards,

Kavya

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi lumpi,

Just to add to the problem even if I use the USB boot mode instead of the I2C=>USB fallback mode , the device is still not enumerating. What could be the reason for this? Would really appreciate your help.

Thanks & regards,

Kavya

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi again,

I added th pid and vid of the device and now it is enumerating on the PC. But I would like to erase the EEPROM and load a different image onto the eeprom. What should I do? I tried to write to the EEPROM from control endpoint on contro center and it says : CONTROL OUT trasnfer completed, but there is no change in the eeprom as such. What should I do to erase the EEPROM and how can I load a larger image onto it?

Thanks & regards,

Kavya

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Kavya,

In order to replace the contents of teh EEPROM with a new one you just need to program it again using Control Center. No need to erase it.

Since AT24C1024B (128KB atmel ) EEPROM, the bit3:1 in third byte (bImageCtl field) of image should be equal to '6' corresponding to 128kb ATMEL EEPROM. So, the boot image firts 4 bytes should be as follows:

'43 59 0C B0' for 100kHz I2C speed

'43 59 1C B0' for 400kHz I2C speed

'43 59 2C B0' for 1MHz I2C speed

Open your img file in any of the hex editors and modify the third byte (bImageCtl field) values mentioned above, as per your I2C speed requirement. Check using this if this solves the issue.

Regards,

Gayathri

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gayathri,

Thank you for the quick reply. I shall get back once I try this out!

Regards,

Kavya

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Gayathri,

I was successfully able to reprogram the EEPROM with USBBulkLoopExample.I also got to transfer data in and out of the Bulk endpoints.

1) However I still have the problem of PMODE pin settings as I described earlier. when I set the PMODE pins to I2C mode(1FF) only, the device does not get enumerated( and gives a PID of 0053). In my understanding once the EEPROM is loaded with the correcct image format and enumerated it should give the same VID/PID for both modes. Have I understood it correctly?  Does this mean that the enumeration is somehow going back to USB boot and not I2C EEPROM boot?

2) Another problem with it is that when I use the USB boot mode only, with PMODE as F11(and the SW40 as off,on,on,off) it still enumerates with the VID/PID that I intended to store in the EEPROM. However it does not get recognized at all on the system when I change the SW40 to off,off,off,off. Am I getting something fundamentally wrong here? I understood that the USB's VID/PID  should be enumerated and not the EEPROMs.

3) Also when I try to load a different code to the EEPROM, Control Center prompts me to reset the device when the device is enumerated with the bulkloopauto example. What should I do about it? 

Thanks & Regards,

Kavya

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Kavya,

Please probe the PMODE pins (specifically mentioning center pins in J98, J97, J96 in order) using a Multimeter and ensure that the PMODE settings are as expected.

Regards,

Gayathri

0 Likes