Oh wow. I can't afford to develop for Cypress chips anymore!

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
kemic_264446
Level 4
Level 4
First like received

Having just been charged over £400 for the EZ-USB development kit, only to find that the compiler it comes with is cripled to 4K - which cannot even build some of the small samples included with the kit, I then find that a 12 Month license for a single seat to unlock the compiler is almost £1500

Compare that to Microchip, who give you a free IDE, free Compilers (XC32 etc) and fabulous tech support. 

I've not had a good experience with Cypress recently. A 'free gift' I got from them ended up costing me more in shipping an import duty that it would have done to buy it from Farnell locally - and when I emailed them to draw this to their attention I did not get a single reply.

Then there is the per-unit cost of the chips too. All in all I think I have to look seriously at the other manufcaturers now, which is a shame because I do like the cypress products.

It seems to me that there must be an accountant in charge of developer support, rather than an engineer. Low cost and dev kits and free high qaulity development tools (IDE, Compiler etc) would have a significant benefit to chip sales!

0 Likes
10 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Thanks for your valuable feedback.

Definitely, I will make sure that your feedback reaches to the management who can take a better decision.

Coming to the compiler and IDE license...

Currently, we are working on this...We will be providing a free tool chain based on eclipse and sdcc to our customers to develop projects for FX2LP. It will be released some time soon.

Thanks,

sai krishna.

0 Likes
kemic_264446
Level 4
Level 4
First like received

Krishna,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

I look forward to seeing the new tool chain - in my view it is the right way to go, basing it on a proven IDE like eclipse is a great step forward.

If you need beta testers or have an early access program, you know where to find me!

-Kenny

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Kenny,

Could you please share your email ID...

Thanks,

sai krishna.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi  Kenny,

Please provide  your e-mail ID.I would like to contact you regarding the SDCC compiler details.

Thanks

Narayana Murthy M

0 Likes
kemic_264446
Level 4
Level 4
First like received

My email address is kenny@spider-e.com

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Was the toolchain mentioned here completed and available?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

We are planning to release it sometime in Q213.

Thanks,

Sai Krishna.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

I am using sdcc for the FX2 for a long time and it works quite smooth. Currently migrating stuff to latest sdcc version. All I use is a FX2 register definition set someone once transferred, the secondary loader from an early FX2 dev kit. Let me know if you are interested.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Chrisk Please do post the details. It will help other customers till the release of Eclipse IDE for FX2LP. thanks a lot Nikhil   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have same issue. I bought the demo board for 50$ sounds cheap and later I found out that 4 k was the limit on compiler. I agree that Microchip has good development system. free compiler and good development tools. as far as tech support I will give microchip #1 in the world. I use microchip products for 20 years now I never had any tools issue exccelent support, specially development tools replacement is the best no question about it.  please let me know as soon as you guys come up free compiler solution for FX3 chip. I know for sure 4k is too low for me.   thanks my email is: abelian.andre@gmail.com  

0 Likes