CySmart dongle problem after firmware upgrade

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

CySmart tool cant detect USB Dongle after firmware upgrade (Utilities tab of PSoC Programmer).

How I can solve this problem?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Found solution.

Factory image (KitProg.cyacd) need to be programmed using Bootloader Host

View solution in original post

0 Likes
39 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Found solution.

Factory image (KitProg.cyacd) need to be programmed using Bootloader Host

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

another solution -

download the .hex file from this website and program it onto the dongle using PSoC Programmer

http://www.cypress.com/?rid=102636

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Just received the new psoc4 BLE kit and also have problems with the BLE dongle.

At first CYSMART told me that BLE dongle firmware is out of date and i have to upgrade it!!!

Upgraded with the .hex files in the kit dvd , no success..then tried to use the .hex file from the cypress site..also no success?

Programming seems to be fine., but CYSMART does not recognize at all??

What to do now??

thanks in advance

Amarant

PS attached screenshot of programmer(after done the programming)

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Things to try out:

1. After connecting the dongle to the USB port, reset the dongle by pressing the switch SW1

2. Try clicking refresh button on the CySmart dongle selection window multiple times

3. As suggested in the post above, try programming the PSoC 5LP device on the BLE dongle with KitProg.cyacd file using the bootloader host utility (PSoC Creator -> Tools -> Bootloader Host). The kit guide should have info on how to program the .cyacd file.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.. I tried 1.2.3 without success..

with the PSOC programmer i can reach the PSOC4  BLE on the USB stick...

Compiled the BLE_Dongle_CySmart.cywrk (from DVD) ,seems to compile ok... then programmed it into the USB dongle, also seems to work ok.

But still not working??

HELP HELP

Ron

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Upgrade firmware on PSoC programmer Utilities tab, updates firmware on programmer IC.

If you done that, you need to revert programmer on dongle to factory firmware (KitProg.cyacd) and after that update firmware on BLE IC (.hex file).

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks..

I have upgraded firmware on utility tab programmer, seems ok.

But i do not understand " If you done that, you need to revert programmer on dongle to factory firmware (KitProg.cyacd)"

If i programm the KitProg.cyacd file then i get an error message back, "invalid file format" or so.

can you pls explain how to do that?

thanks in advance

Ron

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

On dongle board are 2 IC. One is programmer and other is BLE SoC.

For CySmart dongle funcionality you need to upgrade firmware on BLE SoC (not firmware of programmer itself!)

In utility tab you can upgrade firmware for programmer IC. If you made that mistake (you did it) and upgraded firmware of programmer you need to revert it to programmers factory firmware (KitProg.cyacd). You can done that using Bootloader Host tool which you can find in PSoC creator. Search trough manuals for procedure.

After that, upgrade BLE SoC firmware using PSoC programmer (programmer tab, not utilities!)

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Have been experimenting a bit with the psoc4 ble kit and sofar:

1-can program pioneer kit with psoc4 ble module..works...also BT coonection to IOS apps and to BT on my PC.

2-reprogrammed USB dongle with example project...(alert light,being slave device) and pioneerkit as master(central) BLE

This all seems to work?? so i can reprogram USB dongle!!

But still cysmart does not recognise my USB dongle???

Ron

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi, thanks again..

Did all you wrote..

programmed bootl;oader and programmed .hex into psoc4ble.

still cysmart not working..???

if i use slider example on pioneer kit ble then it works.it connects to dongle and i can slide and at USBdongle the blueled is changing..

What to do now??

i noticed in the windows device control that the name of the serial port of the USB dongle=> "kitprpg usb-uart(com4).

i get the same name, except at com 14, when i plug in the pioneerkit ble

is cysmart looking for a particular usb serial name?

Ron

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Section 3.8 of Bluetooth ® Low Energy (BLE)Pioneer Kit Guide:

The BLE Pioneer kit and Dongle contains the modified KitProg that is required to reliably use the
BLE Pioneer kit's functionality. Do not update the KitProg firmware on PSoC 5LP on this kit. If the
KitProg has been updated with the firmware provided with PSoC Programmer, then you can restore
the original KitProg for this kit using the Bootloader Host tool. The required CYACD file is present in
the installed location of the kit:
<Install_Directory>\CY8CKIT-042-BLE Kit\<version>\Firmware\Programmer\KitProg
\KitProg.cyacd
Follow the steps in the Advanced Topics chapter on page 113 to restore the KitProg using the Boot-
loader Host tool.

Read section 6.4.1.2 for solution details if you done something wrongly.

That worked for me.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi,

Still not working...

Have the feeling that the USB dongle has the wrong USB driver installed (the same as the psoc4 pioneer kit,"kitprog usb-uart")

Maybe cysmart does not recognize the USB dongle therefore???

Where can i find the correct USBdongle USB driver(.inf)??

Thanks in advance

Bye Ron

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I see  the KitProg.cyacd.. 

I have inadvertently quick triggered the programmer and have 'upgraded' the firmware by accident to what it now shows asKitProg version 2.08

I have tried usingn the Bootloader Host to download the KitProg.cyacd from the downloaded kit on the webpage..  however the Bootloader gives me an error --

09:59:21 AM - Programming Started
09:59:22 AM - Communication port reported error 'Unable to write data to the target device'.
Programming completed in 412ms.
10:02:45 AM - Selected device: KitProg/1808172A011A3400

And as previously reported by others, CySmart ignores the dongle now entriely..

What am I missing here to get the bootloader to get me back to square one, so to speak 🙂

--thx

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all...

The fix we all need to reset the dongle after we have prematurely hit the trigger in the programmer and upgraded the device to the wrong bootloader .. is in the kit guide on pg 146, section 6.4.1.2 Restore PSoC 5LP Factory Program Using USB Host Tool

There is also a procedure using the programmer, but it doesn't allow (as far as I could find) a way to load the specific bootloader KitProg.cyacd that we need here.. so it fails to do the job...

Using the Bootloader Host tool is the way to get it done...  just follow the directions, holding down the SW1 reset button as you insert the device into the USB port (a cable may make this easier)... then the download will work as desired..

Afterwards, then use the programmer to download the BLE_Dongle_CySmart.hex file from the kit in Cypress\CY8CKIT-042-BLE Kit\1.0\Firmware\BLE Dongle\Hex Files

reset the device and then launch the CySmart program and all should be well with your world once again...

Hope this helps get us all back running again 🙂

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I have tried everything mentioned...all seems to work ok...no problems with burning 5lp bootloader nor with dongle hex file,

but still cysmart does not recognize the dongle???

Maybe it has to do that the dong;le loads the same USB diver as the pioneer kt??(kitprog usb uart.inf)...isthere a special .inf file for the dongle

Help much appreciated

Bye Ron

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Followed directions posted by Dr. Obscure above after having the same issues mentioned by others (and, yes, I accidentally upgraded the programmer firmware). Everything works fine now.   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Uptill now no so much success with cysmart dongle, though cysmart at Apple ipad is working ok...

I am now using Btool/sniffer with TI CC2540 dongle without any problems!!!

Maybe switch back to TI CC2540 all together despite the "mature" 8051..., come back later to Cypress

Ron

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it's time you create a Cypress technical support ticket and ask them what's going wrong.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I has this same problem, the CySmart program stopped recognising the dongle after updating the dongle firmware through PSoC Programmer.

I found out this was because I didn't have the latest PSoC Programmer software. Once updating this, and the re-updating the dongle with the latest PSoC Programmer version, CySmart was able to detect the dongle again.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also have same problem.

CYSMART does not recognize the BLE dongle  in the CY8CKIT-042-BLE kit just received.

I have tried all ways which I can do without success. 

1. programming the PSoC 5LP device on the BLE dongle with KitProg.cyacd file using the bootloader host utility

2. updating PSoC Programmer software to the lastest version 3.33.0

3. updating the dongle with the latest PSoC Programmer version kitprog 2.10

please help! CYPRESS

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Then you might consider filing a CASE -

To create a technical or issue case at Cypress -

www.cypress.com

“Support”

“Technical Support”

“Create a Case”

You have to be registered on Cypress web site first.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jessi - I hope you tried updating the firmware for PRoC BLE device on the dongle as well?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jessi - Did you update the PRoC BLE firmware to the one available here? Can you post a screenshot of what you see in the Programmer and CySmart?

0 Likes
ravo
Level 5
Level 5
10 likes received 5 comments on blog 5 solutions authored

I have also problem with BLE Dongle - it is not recognized by CySmart.

I tried all what was mentioned here (upgrading firmware by PSoCProgrammer, and also by BootLoader). All works fine.

But CySmart still does not see BLE Dongle.

Have any body some ideas ? I just created also support case...

Regards, Radim

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Have you programmed the PROC part on the dongle with the BLE_dongle_cysmart.hex file?

Regards,

VIkas.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had the same problem, but I solved following this steps.

1) Download the latest version of  BLE Dongle CySmart 1.0.0.50.hex  (http://www.cypress.com/?rid=102636)

2) Open PSoC Programmer 3.22.0 and connect you USB Dongle

3) Change de File path. File -> File Load -> path with the new .hex in my case

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\CY8CKIT-042-BLE Kit\1.0\Firmware\BLE Dongle\Hex Files\BLE Dongle CySmart 1.0.0.50.hex 

Then pulse F5 or File->Program

4) Go Utilities tab, and the click on "Upgrade Firmware"

For more information: http://www.cypress.com/?docID=51311 pag 39

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        the manumart solution worked for me (thank you). But I have to say that this Product has some of the worst documentation and installation procedures that I have ever seen. Now after only 6 hours of upgrading I can try the first example. Also for some reason the 'Post form' is a very small box, so even writing this is a pain ! thanks again manumart   
0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

If you are using Explorer 9, 10, set internet options to compatibility mode.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

Actually the documentation is not so bad. Its just that, for the firmware upgrade, one needs to be careful because multiple tools are involved (the CySmart dongle and the Pioneer kit programmer), and PSoC programmer is not smart enough to know which firmware applies to which tool. To add to the confusion, one needs to have the right firmware downloaded, its not part of the Creator install 😞

I already asked Cypress to make the steps involved more clear so first time users are not as confused as I was... 8did it actually wrong the first time too).

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I have seen it all now, I throught it was a driver issue.

--no driver I got here was valid (???).

Cypress support is non-functional.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi ,

Please provide the snapshot of Cysmart when you have connected the dongle.

Press RESET button on the dongle, disconnect and connect it again.

Which OS are you using?

Regards,

Vikas

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another engineer and I both had issues with the dongle that came in each of our kits as well.  I wrote up some instructions with screenshots that could help fix the issue, you can find them at https://www.eewiki.net/display/Wireless/Fixing+Connection+Issues+between+the+Cypress+CySmart+Softwar....

I hope the link helps, best of luck.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Faced a similar issue today where the CySmart does not recognize the BLE Dongle.

The correct driver for the BLE Dongle is the KitProg USB-UART (COM). So checked the Device manager and found that the dongle was mapped to the wrong driver: USB Serial Port (COM). Updated the driver to manually bind to the KitProg USB-UART driver available in the folder: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\Programmer\drivers\KitProg". Now the dongle is recognized in the CySmart and works fine.

Hope this helps...

Regards,

Saheem

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Documentation doesn't have the pages You refer to. The pages either don't exist or contains invalid data ( ie. p113 contains BOM)

I've opened CY8CKIT-042-BLE_Kit_Guide.pdf

My problem is that dongle is recognized by CySmart. However I can't connect to the kit

Error is Establish connection request timed out

0 Likes

I got same problem when I use virtual box to run windows under mac, so I turned to use PC, problem gone. 

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seems this problem is still around, Just received my kit from Ebay.

CySmart saw the dongle as unsupported target and it told me to reprogram it, providing me a link to click on for the hex file.  Clicking on the link opened file explorer in that hex files directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\CY8CKIT-042-BLE Kit\1.0\Firmware\BLE Dongle\Hex Files\BLE_Dongle_CySmart_128K.hex).  Then I had to find a programmer, went to Cypress programs folder and found PSoC Programmer.  Opened it and loaded that hex file, and then 'Upgraded Firmware'.  After a little confusion it started being recognized by CySmart.  Hope it does everything it is supposed to with the hex file it told me to load:)

For help on the other issues check out Alecs great link!

0 Likes
YiLi_1484786
Level 1
Level 1

I found one solution from the KitProg User Guide, changed a lit bit to get it work.

1, hold the reset button of the Dongle (SW1) and then plug into the USB port. The green LED is flashing

2, Open the bootloader host software under the PSoC Creator folder, or it also can be accessed from Creator menu bar Toos> Bootloader Host...

3, Select the KitProgcyacd file from CY8CKIT-0420BLE Kit\[version]\Firmware\Programmer\KitProg folder

4, Use the Filters.. only select the USB withVID 04B4 PID F13B

5, The ports should be updated and show the usb input device (which normally hidden)

6, Program the cyacd file

7, Go to the PSoC Programmer and program BLE Dongle CySmart 1.1.0.17.hex

8, If all good, the dongle should be appeared in CySmart 1.1 automatically, no reset or reflesh required

Good luck

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is incredibly frustrating. Out of the box, dongle is an "unsupported target" in CySmart1.2. I've updated the .hex file on the PSoC4 BLE with the programmer tool and the .hex file found online. Again I tried using CySmart1.2 - unsupported target. I updated the PSoC5 with the KitProg.cyacd found in the CY8CKIT-042-BLE Kit directory using the bootloader host and the reset button - still an unsupported target. Tried updating the firmware as per the prompts in PSoC programmer (even though I read that you don't want to do this), still no dice in CySmart1.2. I reverted back to KitProg.cyacd and the latest/greatest .hex, still no dice. What gives? I thought this was supposed to be a quick start tool.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Probably too late but I hope this helps some one:

1. start bootloader. if your dongle is not able to connect to CySmart you would see only one port KitProg/BLE0D......This means your dongle is functional and able to connect with your computer.

2. select the file C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\Programmer\KitProg.cyacd

3. close boot loader.

3. start psoc programmer. press F4.

4. when prompted to choose a file select C:/Program Files (x86)/Cypress/CySmart/1.2/dongle/CY5670/BLE_4.1_Dongle_CySmart_1.2.1.21

5. press F5. wait for the final message.

if your PC does not recognize dongle at all, you wont see any kit appearing in PSOC programmer's or bootloader's port section. in that case press SW1, the tiny reset button on the sides of doble for 30 seconds untill red/green both lihgts on dongle turn on.