Using FX3 as host to request UVC data from a camera and output the data on the GPIF2

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a version of the FX3 that will accept YUY2 data from an IR camera to send the image to a PC. The same YUY2 data is also sent to an OLED for local display.

We would like to be able to plug in a visible webcam (YUY2 ideally or MPEG output) and request the UVC data and output it onto the GPIF2 GPIO pins so that we can pass this to the OLED (or even mix teh IR and visible - but that's another story).

All the info I can find is all regarding Image data to USB rather than USB to Image data.

Can anybody point me to some examples?

I want to use the FX2 as we would use it to output the IR image.

Shaun

0 Likes
6 Replies
Hemanth
First like given First question asked 750 replies posted

Hello Shaun,

I think you want to use FX2LP for sending the data(obtained from FX3) from PC to OLED. Is that correct? In that case can you tell us the interface details between FX2LP and OLED?

Regards,

Hemanth

Hemanth
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hemanth,

I want to plug the visible camera into the FX3; data comes out of the GPIF-II to my FPGA and then passed to the OLED (instead of passing our thermal image to the OLED).

Shaun

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shaun,

Could you attach a block diagram of your design indicating the data flow.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Diagram attached...

The FPGA has the IR sensor on the board and sends image to the OLED. I want to take in a visable image from a USB camera, extract teh 8-bit data and get the FPGA to pass that to the OLED (instead of the IR image)

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Hemanth, Shaun,

Did you resolve this - i am looking to do something similar!

Many thanks

Malcolm

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Malcolm,

Yes manages to get a 640x480 output from my camera to the FX3. I have attached the FX3 code stuff.

Note that I had to modify the output of my camera to also include the "colour" bytes (kept at 0x80), but careful which way round you insert them between the data bytes otherwise the image on the PC is coloured (Purple/Red) rather than Ge=rey.

Also, the FX3 needs to read in twice as many bytes (640x480x2) as each pixel byte has an associated colour byte. This messed me up for ages...

Good Luck

Shaun

0 Likes