UART register/DMA mode for debug. (Input of different length).

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would like the "CyU3PDebugPrint" to be supported, and I would like to receive ASCII commands by the UART. My ASCII commands have different length.

I can see that "CyU3PDebugPrint" output to UART only support DMA mode.

When I select DMA mode my smallest buffer is 16 byte, and i can't find a way to get a "callback"/event before the buffer is full.

// Now create the DMA channel required for read.

CyU3PMemSet ((uint8_t *)&dmaConfig, 0, sizeof(dmaConfig));

dmaConfig.size           = sizeof(RS232_rx_OutBuf);

dmaConfig.count          = sizeof(RS232_rx_OutBuf);

dmaConfig.prodAvailCount = 0;

dmaConfig.dmaMode        = CY_U3P_DMA_MODE_BYTE; // CY_U3P_DMA_MODE_BUFFER;

dmaConfig.prodHeader     = 0;

dmaConfig.prodFooter     = 0;

dmaConfig.consHeader     = 0;

dmaConfig.notification   = CY_U3P_DMA_CB_XFER_CPLT |

CY_U3P_DMA_CB_SEND_CPLT |

CY_U3P_DMA_CB_RECV_CPLT |

CY_U3P_DMA_CB_PROD_EVENT |

CY_U3P_DMA_CB_CONS_EVENT |

CY_U3P_DMA_CB_ABORTED |

CY_U3P_DMA_CB_ERROR |

CY_U3P_DMA_CB_PROD_SUSP |

CY_U3P_DMA_CB_CONS_SUSP;

dmaConfig.cb             = CyFxUartLpDmaCallback;

dmaConfig.prodSckId = CY_U3P_LPP_SOCKET_UART_PROD;

dmaConfig.consSckId = CY_U3P_CPU_SOCKET_CONS;

apiRetStatus = CyU3PDmaChannelCreate (&glUartLpChHandle, CY_U3P_DMA_TYPE_MANUAL_IN, &dmaConfig);

Poul-Erik.

0 Likes
6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you looked at the UART examples that comes along with FX3 SDK.     

Please have a look at the "UartLpDmaMode" example. This example gets 32 bytes of data from the HyperTerminal and prints back on HyperTerminal once FX3 gets 32 bytes of data.     

Thanks,     

sai krishna.     

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

One of my problems is that I want to be able to make commands of different size. I can setup the DMA size as low as 16 byte, byt I wan to be able to make commands down to 4 chars.

I was looking at register mode, but I can't get the "Call-back" for the UART to work in register mode.

Poul-Erik.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Right. We can setup the DMA size as low as 16bytes. I don't see a way to make it to 4 bytes. You may need to enter remaining bytes in the command as empty spaces to generate a event in the firmware. 🙂

0 Likes
RoKl_290166
Level 4
Level 4
Welcome!

Hi Poul-Erik,

I experienced the same issue! You need to use the UART register-mode to receive a variable number of bytes which is less than 16! For this you don't need any callback since the only events which you can catch in register-mode are RX_DONE, TX_DONE and ERROR.

Just use the API CyU3PUartReceiveBytes() to receive byte by byte and check for <CRLF> which usually is used to finish the input at the console.

Bes regards,

Robert

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Robert.

That is one way to do it. One of the problems is that you need a timer interrupt to check the status, and you will use a lot of CPU time, because you can't get an interrupt at the right time.

Pol-Erik.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Why will not there be a function to understand the reception status of Uart? In FX2, I can get that by check SCON!   
0 Likes