Psoc5 and VGA question

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Hi all Im using arduino DUE and software VGA library 640x480 monochrome or 320x240 color. Is possible equivalent this for PSOC5 ? Both Arduino DUE and PSOC is ARM platform. (PSOC UDB block will be generate clock and synchronisation and CPU other function) Is possible ? Kamil   
0 Likes
8 Replies
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

Short answer: yes.

Long answer. It won't be easy. Driving VGA directly from a MCU usually involves many tricks to get the timing right. It might also involve the use of DMA or some peripherals to reduce load on the CPU core. So don't expect to be able to directly port the library over to the PSoC.

Instead, look up how VGA works, and see what parts of that can be implemented in hardware. This will solve you many software tricks, and will free up the CPU core.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

I recently had to write an FBAS signal generator for a PSoC3 and I used verilog for the complete logic. I would suggest to try a similar approch to get near the solution.

Bob

0 Likes
VlYe_281166
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 10 questions asked

"I recently had to write an FBAS signal generator for a PSoC3 and I used verilog for the complete logic. I would suggest to try a similar approch to get near the solution.

Bob"

Hello, Bob. Please, more info if possible.

Thanks in advance,

Vladimir

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Sorry, but project is under disclosure.

Setup counters for the lines and pixels and decode the appropiate states. FBAS signal description can be found here de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernsehsignal but it is in German only.

Specify exactly what you would like to perform, what you already tried etc. Probably we can evolve if it fits into a PSoC5

Bob 

0 Likes
VlYe_281166
Level 4
Level 4

Exactly i'll do it with PSOC5. I need to insert some simple text & graphics into composite PAL/SECAM TV signal via SCART. I have some experience in making this with PSOC1. The current problem is that I have very few resources in my current project, so I'm looking for the most economy solution.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

How many UDBs are left?? I remember that my approach DID use some resources. Remember that I said "the logic" within a PSoC, not the analog part. The DAC (and you will probably need more than one) will not be fast enough, so you'll have to use external DACs with video-speed

Bob

0 Likes
VlYe_281166
Level 4
Level 4

No DACs at all. I need simple solution, like DMA to ShiftReg in three RGB pins. 3 bit color will be OK. SCART has a switch pin to allow fast frame switching between current source and RGB inputs. Most of TV sync glue already exist. 

Now I don't remember about free UDBs, but they still are. 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm

Is possible post your examples ?

Many thanks

0 Likes