Change EPCS64 from S25FL164K to S25FL064L

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

We use the EPCS64 Flash (S25FL164K) for configure Altera FPGA before, we generate the .jic file and can download the .jic file successfully. (AS mode)
Now we want to change this flash chip to S25FL064L. I read the datasheet, they have the same pins and we only use the serial mode(single-bit).
The circuit is all same with before. But the .jic file cannot download successfully, the problem shows in quartus is “Error (209025): Can't recognize silicon ID for device 1”.
I don’t know the reason for this problem, is any difference between using method of these two chips? or I need to do some different settings when generate .jic files?
Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
7 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Yuehan,

Please refer our application note from the link given below which lists the differences between S25FL164K and S25FL064L. http://www.cypress.com/file/327361/download

Can you attach a logic analyzer to the SPI bus and find out below points?

1. Is it an FPGA configuration failure or boot failure ?

2. What SPI command caused it to fail?

Thanks,

Krishna.

TakahiroK_16
Employee
Employee
100 replies posted 50 replies posted 25 solutions authored
        Hi Yuhehan, The EPCS is a name SPI Flash of Altera bland. It's different from Cypress S25FL164K. Are you sure you use S25FL164K? The device ID of two devices (FL164K and FL064L) are different, and your Serial Flash Loader seems to reject unknown IDs. What version of Alterera's Quatus tool you use? Best Regards, Takahiro   
0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Kuwano,

I am sure I use S25FL164K before, and I choose the FLASH device is ECPS64.
I use Quartus ii 13.1 and in my project I use ALTASMI_PARALLEL ipcore.

Yuehan

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Takahiro,

I think I find the problem. For FL064L i cannot read back the silicon ID.

As you said, we use S25FL164K instead of EPCS64 before. I think they have the same command list. So quartus programmer software send x"90" commmand and can read back the ID x"16". But this command cannot be identified by FL064L, so the error happened. The program or erase operation is all send command automatically by quartus programmer software. I don't know how to change it? Is this means 
we cannot do program or erase operation to S25FL064L by using Quartus programmer software? (we must write a SPI configuration module for it?)

Yuehan

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I met the same problem, is there any solution?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Hudiysh,

Are you using the same Quartus II 13.1 version ?

Please refer the application note from the link given below  which talks about customized design to program the 3rd party flash:

http://www.cypress.com/file/202476/download

Thanks,

Krishna.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much for your help. I will try the method, keep in touch!

0 Likes