HI-TECH compiler

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Rolf_Nooteboom
Level 5
Level 5
10 sign-ins 5 solutions authored First solution authored
        I just received the bad news Microchip had acquired HI-TECH. I guess support from HI-TECH for the M8C compiler will be on low priority and will finally stop.   

With one 99% ready compiler and one outdated compiler, Cypress falls through the cracks.   

I hope Cypress is possible to take over the development of the HI-TECH compiler...   
0 Likes
9 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
        According to Clyde in the HiTech forums, discussions are on between Microchip and Cypress regarding the compiler. I am sure some amicable solution will be found for this issue.   
0 Likes
ronoc_298001
Level 1
Level 1
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins Welcome!
        I hope so. Taking a commercial point of view (what it is), Cypress will not pay it's competitor for continued development and support. As you look, all non-Microchip compilers already disappeared from the website.   

It would be nice if Cypress can take over the compiler and have their own control on it.   

Clyde told me the most recent compiler build will be included in PD5 SP4. I hope this build will address the final issues.   

Best regards,   
Rolf   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Cypress has released PD5.0 SP4.5. It comes with free ImageCraft compiler. Please check release notes of this version. You will get answer for the most of your question.   

Best regards,   
Sachin Gupta   
0 Likes
ronoc_298001
Level 1
Level 1
        Cypress is forced to stop distribution of the HI-TECH Lite compiler by Microchip. Fortunate the latest version of the HI-TECH Pro compiler is quite bug-free.   

Porting back to Imagecraft is not really an option as some keywords, identifiers and data types (eg. bit) aren't supported (yet?).   

Cypress told me that PD5 keeps on supporting the HI-TECH compiler for the future, so that's quite nice.   

Regards,   
Rolf   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Hi Rolf,   

This true that new ImageCraft is not better than HiTech Pro but its better than HiTech Lite. Anybody who has HiTech Pro, we do not ask him to move to ImageCraft. This free compiler is only for the people who do not have HiTech license and do not want to purchase either. We hope that when Cypress will release pro version of ImageCraft that would be comparable or better than HiTech Pro.   

Best regards,   
Sachin   
0 Likes
ronoc_298001
Level 1
Level 1
        Hi Sachin,   

I hope the flash-size benchmark for the Imagecraft Pro compiler to release will not be the only metric, and also backwards compatibility will be one.   

In my experience migrating to another compiler is time consuming (this applies also for the Lite version users).   

Regards,   
Rolf   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Hi Rolf,   

I completely agree with your points. But Cypress had no other way out than having a new compiler. This is true that it is time consuming to migrate to another compiler. But cypress is ready to provide every kind of support to move to new compiler.   

I hope you understand.   

Best regards,   
Sachin   
0 Likes
ronoc_298001
Level 1
Level 1
        Yes, I understand.   

Richard (Imagecraft) already mentioned developing something like OCG (HI-TECH uses) is very though. Hope the results will be nice!   

Regards,   
Rolf   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The new PSoC Designer 5.1 includes native integration of the ImageCraft Pro compiler.                                                  

Here is the URL     

http://www.cypress.com/?rID=41083     

(or go to http://www.cypress.com/go/psocdesigner and click on the red link).

Thanks.     

0 Likes