WEP & MAC Filtering in SoftAP Mode

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have an application in which the 43362 will primarily be used in SoftAP mode. Does the WICED SDK support the following while in SoftAP mode?

1. WEP security (in addition to WPA/WPA2)

2. MAC Filtering

I've noticed other forum discussions about WEP as a client, but nothing conclusive regarding WEP for SoftAP applications.

Thanks!

Andy

vik86

0 Likes
10 Replies
SeyhanA_31
Employee
Employee
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Hi,

WEP is not implemented due to lack of security.

Seyhan

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the feedback, Seyhan. That's unfortunate as some end users still prefer WEP due to the simplified passwords, but at least we know that capabilities of the WICED SDK.

What about MAC Filtering?

Thanks!

-Andy

0 Likes

Hi,

I will check on the MAC Filtering and get back to you.

Seyhan

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Seyhan. I learned that the customer can probably live without WEP, but the MAC Filtering is a hard requirement for greater security. Keeping fingers crossed. 🙂

-Andy

0 Likes

Hi Andy,

MAC filtering is possible with Wiced SDK.

The wiced_result_t wiced_wifi_add_packet_filter( const wiced_packet_filter_t* settings ) adds filters, .../include/wiced_wifi.h

There is a sample app for packet filtering as well in the snip directory, .../apps/snip/packet_filter.

Seyhan

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is great news. Thank you for the feedback, Seyhan! Also appreciate the insight about WiConnect from ndutton. I will communicate this to the customer.

-Andy

0 Likes

Hi,

WiConnect is great module from Broadcom's partner, and it simplifies integration. Please check out their website.

Seyhan

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a small point of clarity.

WiConnect is a licenceable software product that can be licenced by any volume manufacturer whether they make modules or do chip down design.

ACKme is a licencee of that software and their licence agreement allows for their modules to come with a full per device WiConnect licence.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a very helpful clarification regarding WiConnect. The customer I'm working with is already locked into a specific module for the immediate design, but the WiConnect s/w may be a solution for them. I'll explore further. Thanks!

-Andy

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

WiConnect will allow you to use WEP, BUT, you have to specifically enable it because as Seyhan mentioned.... WEP is terrible for security (honestly is 2 seconds time more secure than having no security at all).

Comment from the WiConnect reference guide:

• Check the network password or security key assigned to wlan.passkey. If your network uses WEP (and we sincerely hope it does not since WEP is NOT secure), follow the setup procedure for WEP keys documented in the wlan variable documentation.

0 Likes