LCD on different pins than LCD user module

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am working on creating firmware for an existing project that does not have the LCD wired to the "standard" pins defined by the LCD User Module.  Is there any easy way to change the LCD user module to reconfigure the pins or is there another user module I can use?

0 Likes
10 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

This has been made for PSoC3/4/5. Since the Usermodule is pure software you can adapt it to your needs. Creating or changing a usermodule in Designer is not as easy as in Creator, so I would suggest not to use a usermodule for the solution but some self-written functions in separate .h / .c files.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.  That is more work than I was looking to do.  Has anybody done this that wouldnt mind sharing libraries/code?  I would really appreciate it.

0 Likes
DennisS_46
Employee
Employee
100 sign-ins 50 likes received 50 solutions authored

I know of no-one who has remapped the LCD to different pins.

I checked with the author of the original user module (who asked to go nameless). The UM works by writing strictly through software to the designated port and pins. You "could" make a table of standard pins versus the desired pins and call the conversion inside the write and read routines in the LCD.asm file. Table would only be 128 bytes; it would take a few lines of code, but I agree, it would be a pain. Lets hope someone has already done it.

---- Dennis

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

One work around would be a serial interface module, like I2C or SPI.

Just a thought.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is an existing system so adding serial to the LCD isnt a viable option.  Software would be the only solution unless a later gen PSOC would be a direct replacement for my PSOC 1 (CY8C29566-AXI) that I could solder in there.  I hope it doesnt come to that though.  Do you have any more details on how I would go about modifying the LCD.asm?

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

In PSOC Designer 5.4, go to Help menu, Documentation, Designer Specific Documents,

there is a manual on UM Customization.

Code wise you would look at existing code, looking for port R/W activity, and modify

it. I suspect this would be a tedious but doable project rewriting all that code.

You also could hire a CYPro to tackle it. See               http://www.cypress.com/?id=1088&source=support

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the LCD lines split between two ports.  The data lines are in consecutive order, however, the control lines are in non-consecutive order.  I havent done assembly in a while so I think it would be easier to start over and write a library.  I was hoping somebody would have a library for this already or an easy way to do this.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Try posting a Case to see if Cypress internal is working on an update

to module -

To create a technical case at Cypress -

www.cypress.com

“Support”

“Technical Support”

“Create a Case”

You have to be registered on Cypress web site first.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I needed a solution so I decided to write my own library.  I am about 80% done.  If anyone is interested it in when I am done send me a message.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

If you consider allowing the solution as community post it back here.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes