Proper circuit for programming PSoC 5LP using an external microcontroller?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all,

I'm designing an remote PSoC 5LP programmer (like the MiniProg 3, except taking in data from a network), using the Serial Wire Debug interface, and I'm having a hard time getting the PSoC5LP chip to respond to any commands.

I first decided to port the document project AN73054 to a language understandable by the host microcontroller using a bottom-up development method (lowest level functions first). I failed to get any acknowledgments back from the SWDIO signal early in development.

After that, I've decided to borrow another PSoC 5LP board, compile the AN73054 project on there, and program the the target PSOC 5LP board. I wired the signals directly from the host PSoC 5LP output (SWDIO, SUDCK, and XRES) to the target PSoC 5LP board, and I kept getting errors. I soon discovered that all of the SWD signals from the target board were floating without any kind of response to any signal (it was floating between 2.5 and 3.1 volts), so I figured that a circuit is needed for programming the PSOC 5LP, even though the document said nothing about setting up a proper circuit (or any floating signals or pullup/pulldown resistors).

I then followed this guide, which revealed that I should pull down SWDCK to ground and pull up SWDIO to VCC. I tested this with both 3.3 voltage and 5 voltage sources from the host PSoC, with no avail.

To clear things up, both the PSoC 5LPs are intefaced with the CY8CKIT-050 development board. Both of the chip models are the same (CYC5868AXI-LP35). I read the development kit guide, the device programming specs, and obviously the AN73054 document. I don't think any of these documents gave any PSoC programming circuit examples (except for the last page in the programming specs, but that just showed how to wire up the PSoC power sources, which I think the development kit already covered). I also wired both boards properly (VDDA to VDDD, and VSSA to VSSD). I tried looking up any example PSoC 5LP programming circuit examples, but the schematics for any third-party programmers along with the Miniprog3 were unavailable, and any searches came up with nothing. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Could you please help me with coming up with a circuit? Sorry for the long message and any percieved rudeness, I'm new here.

0 Likes
7 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

To add to the previous post, I also switched the boards around when trying to get an SWD acknowledgement, with the same result, so I don't think there's anything wrong with the boards.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Just to clear any inconsitencies: have a look into the schematics of the Pioneer Development Kit secure.cypress.com/ where a PSoC4 is programmed with a PSoC5lp via SWD.

I think that your company could get the sources from Cypress when you sign an NDA. Get in contact to cypress by creating a MyCase (On top of this window: Support&Community-> Technical Support -> Create a MyCase")

Bob

0 Likes
HaHa_285681
Level 3
Level 3
First like given

Hi everybody can I program psoc 5lp series microcontrollers with psoc 5lp development kit or I must buy Miniprog3 anyway?

If I can,  can  you pleas link some references? 

thanks for help.

0 Likes
EvPa_264126
Level 7
Level 7
500 replies posted 250 replies posted 100 likes received

If you have a CY8CKIT-050 PSoC® 5LP  you simply connect XRES his chip to the ground as shown here.

If you have an old board (CY8CKIT-003(014) и  CY8CKIT-030(050)) you have to replace the ROM as described here (Modifying FX2 Small EEprom of FTK05 Kit.pdf)
Sufficient to replace only the VID & PID

0 Likes
HaHa_285681
Level 3
Level 3
First like given

Thanks it was very helpful for me. I think it is the same that you will hold pressed  reset button and then will connect your device from JTAG/SWD connection.

0 Likes
EvPa_264126
Level 7
Level 7
500 replies posted 250 replies posted 100 likes received

Yes. But, If you hold the button down the whole line will XRES shorted to ground.
So we had to put the switch.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks 

0 Likes