Debuging CY8CKIT-049-42xx prototyping kit ?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

How do I debug the CY8CKIT-049-42 prototyping kit?

I have no problems with programing the kit with the bootloader Host.

When I press the debug symbol, the "select Debug device" is empty.

Is it not possible to debug the device?

I have some experience with the psco 4 pioneer kit, and I can easely debug my Psoc 4 pioneer kit without problems. 

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
22 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

The Pioneer Kit has got a PSoC 5LP as bridge between the PSoC4 and USB to allow debugging. When you want to debug your Prototype Kit you need a miniprog3 or you have to hack your Pioneer Kit and use it for debugging.

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

The programing is done by a USB bridge chip, not a full up

processor like on the Pioneer, so there is no debug capability

on the -049 stand alone.

From the user manual -

3.3 Programming the CY8CKIT-049-4xxx Kit

The CY8CKIT-049-4xxx kits are pre-programmed with firmware containing a bootloader. Therefore,
there are two methods of programming the onboard PSoC 4 device:

1. Perform UART bootload programming of the PSoC 4 device using the USB-Serial device as a
USB-UART bridge.

2. Use a CY8CKIT-002MiniProg3 to program and debug the target device directly.

Regards, Dana

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The -49-42xx kit does not have an onboard debugger. Programming is done via a bootloader only. 

todebug on this kit you have two options:

a) Use Arduino style debuging, printing values to the serial com. it not real debuger but atleast you will have some feedback.

b) Use an external debuger. The proper debuger is a miniprog3 but a modded Pioneer kit will work just fine.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the usefull reply. That make sense.

I found a post in the forum how to hack the pioneer kit for debugging external psoc.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

i cannot even program it using creator 3.0

it says: port acuired failed

?

I see it in usb devices though !!!

under windows 8 here!

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Under "Tools" you find the Bootloader Host. This you need to program your KIT-049-42xx. Look at the manual, press the switch as indicated.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

the only thing showing in bootloader is COM1

and the usb device is detected as: Universal Serial Bus Controller (not Ports)

listed as: USB-Serial (Single-Channel) Vendor 1

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Yes, COM1 or COM2 and that is exactly what you program the prototype kit with.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I solved the issue with not visible COM device by unistalling everything and installing again, maybe I was using wrong USB drivers. there are a few in the supported folder. COM1 is system reserved! 3 too. so by default it showed at my PC at 4, but I set it to 21 and 115200bitrate. (maybe that was the key to success, since the default is 9600 maybe too slow and times out?)

Anyhow, the real chaviar is the unexpected, at least for me, behavior that one needs to unplug the device between either operations: programm or verify! Otherwise it times out! I made it finally to work under windows.

Now to why the linux test util drive is does not enumerate the device, yet a message with compatible device found pops up on each pluging of it.... !???

Thanks

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Regarding CY8CKIT-049 under linux, I have found that my Ubuntu distribution mis-dentifies the device as cytherm (Cypress thermometer device) based on its USB identifiers. My workaround is to disable the cytherm driver:

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

Add this line to the file:

blacklist cytherm

The proto kit will then identify as a ttyACMx device the next time you restart.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I still don't see the device as : /dev/ttyACMx

anything else you did rather than blacklisting the cytherm ???

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got it!

For UBUNTU you need to edit the file: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

here is what I get from running dmesg after hooking the prototyping board:

[   62.132510] usb 2-1.6: new full-speed USB device number 4 using ehci-pci
[   62.227631] usb 2-1.6: New USB device found, idVendor=04b4, idProduct=0002
[   62.227636] usb 2-1.6: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[   62.227639] usb 2-1.6: Product: USB-Serial (Single Channel)
[   62.227642] usb 2-1.6: Manufacturer: Cypress Semiconductor
[   62.311176] cdc_acm 2-1.6:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
[   62.311479] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_acm
[   62.311480] cdc_acm: USB Abstract Control Model driver for USB modems and ISDN adapters

and , yes, I see a device /dev/ttyACM0

now to settup a VM and try using psoc creator in ubuntu win7 guest OS

😄

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Separate question on the CY8CKIT-049.

I have an app that uses flash as EEPROM. A side effect of this is that, after running the program, the flash contents have changed. Since the bootloader provided with CY8CKIT-049 checks flash checksum every time it starts up, it fails, and I cannot actually use my application.

I have installed a new bootloader, compiled with the "fast application validation" option, using the Miniprog 3, and everything is fine.

Is there a workaround that uses the "out-of-the-box" bootloader (e.g. setting some different parameters to cyelftool when building my app)?

Alternatively, Cypress might consider supplying a "fast validation" bootloader as the standard with the kit.

Chuck

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

A bootloader only solution makes the dev board next to useless.  I know the board was only $4 but I always thought the point of a development board was to provide a good development environment.  Bootloaders are only useful if you like blinking LED examples.  I'm not about to spend $100 on a MINIPROG3 just to do an eval.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Consider the following -

1) Contact local FAE or Cypress Sales manager or Cypress rep, discuss the problem.

2) Buy the Pioneer board, you get a debuggable PSOC 4, a PSOC 5LP that you can

program, and an Arduino shield pinout.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

As a matter of fact, Cypress sells the kit under the name "Prototyping Kit" which does not imply debugging. I see your point and I would do as Dana suggested. Then you always have the choice to develop on the Pioneer board an transfer the project to the Prototype Kit freeing the Pioneer for the next project.

Btw: of course you can do mote than having an LED blink, it depends on what you connect the board to.

Bob

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

No debug on this board due to missing psoc 5 debug device.  You the mini programmer to debug this board. I looked at this board and said why would I want to send another $89.00 to debug the board. Just buy the Poioneer kit for $25.00 and you have all you need to develope with.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll try using my FX2LP board as an SWD adapter.  If that doesn't work I'll order a Pioneer board.  

If I have time I'll also try exporting to Eclipse and see if I can get OpenOCD working.  It would be nice if more vendors supported OpenOCD

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

This might help -

http://www.cypress.com/?app=forum&id=2233&rID=94765

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
VlYe_281166
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 10 questions asked

Debug button is not active when I try to debug CY8CKIT-049-42xx via Miniprog 3.

I only could debug via connect to running target. It is for Creator 3 and 3.1

It is very uncomfortable!

What is wrong and how to solve the problem?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I frequently debug my Prototype Kit with a MiniProg3, so something must be wrong with your settings.

Do not plug the Kit into USB! Instead solder 5 posts into the appropiate places and plug the MiniProg3 on them.

Did you program your Kit successfully with the miniprog? Did you set the MiniProg Power to 3.3V ?

Under "Debug" can you choose "Select Debug Target" and do you see your MiniProg3 and the PSoC4 as target?

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Debug button is not active when I try to debug CY8CKIT-049-42xx via Miniprog 3."

Don't forget to enable debugging in your project! Open your project's .cydwr, select "system" page, find Programming/Debugging title, and set "Debug Select" option as SWD. If it was set as GPIO then you can still program the chip by using the SWD pins, but you cannot debug it.

0 Likes