Preprocessor defines in Build Settings wrong!? Please help me!

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

This problem occurs with PSoC Creator  3.3 (3.3.0.410)

Hello community,

I ask You about help for an issue (bug?) in the PSoC Creator. What I simple want: Define a preprocessor definition with a value in the build settings and use it correctly in the editor.

1. Define it by hand in a header-file (see screenshot 1)

Anything correct here. The PSoC Creator makes the unused code gray and shows the correct case. Also on compiling the correct error is shown.

2. Define it in "Build Settings" > "Compiler" > "Preprocessor Definitions" in correct syntax (TEST_VAL=1) (see screenshot 2)

The PSoC Creator shows the define as "1=" instead of "1". So the code is not shown correct, gray code is indeed compiled! The compiler works correct, the correct error is shown.

3. Define it in "Build Settings" > "Compiler" > "Preprocessor Definitions" in false syntax (TEST_VAL 1) (see screenshot 3)

The PSoC Creator shows all correct, the gray code is really unused. But the compiler cannot handle the parameter -D "TEST_VAL 1" (see screenshot 4).

So my problem is that I must choose if the compiler does the correct things or the PSoC Creator shows all correct. My favor is both together. Please help me to find a way or bugfix the PSoC Creator because this seems to be a bug in this Software.

Thank You a lot for Your help!

0 Likes
11 Replies
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

If you just need a true/false setting, you can use #IFDEF to test for existence.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for Your comment but I need a defined number (range 0..999)

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Some clarification: The #define has nothing to do with PSoCs, but the underlying Keil compiler. To get more information about the pre-processing  it would be best to look for ARM DP8051 Keil compiler.

Afaik you may define a symbol using the command line, but you cannot assign it a value.

Do not use an equal sign when you want to give a symbol a value in a #define, that seems to be an error.

Bob

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

So what I did:

• I added to my code something like this:
  •    

#if TESTDEF == 1
something silly
#ENDIF

• then I went to project / build settings
  •     
  • I selected Keil 9.51 / compiler
  •     
  • There is a setting 'preprocessor definitions', reading 'DEBUG'
  •     
  • I changed it to 'Debug ; TESTDEF=1' (I actually opened the edit dialog for this setting and added a new one)
  •     
  • I compiled and got the expected compile error (missing semicolon). When changing TESTDEF to 2, it went away.
  •    

The editor also got the code correct (OK, it tells me this is not a valid binary expression, but knows what code is active and which is not).

0 Likes
lock attach
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

Aargh! There should have been a screenshot attached 😞 Lets try whether embedding it works, if not it should be there as an attachement...

0 Likes
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pooh... are You sure You don't have the same problem? Your comment "OK, it tells me this is not a valid binary expression" sounds as it doesn't work on Your client too!

I reproduced the steps, I think it's definitive a bug in PSoC Creator!

1. When I define the TEST_VAL in "normal" way, the if-query has no problem, the code is NOT gray.

2. I define it in build settings (toolcahin ARM GCC) in correct way (TEST_VAL=1)

3. The if-query has an error, the code is gray although it is active for the compiler!

This is a bug or isn't it???? Please help! Is there anywhere a supporter from Cypress?

0 Likes

You are posting in the PSoC3 forum, so I used a PSoC3 project. This is using the Keil C compiler. Are you using something different?

For me it worked: when setting the value to '1' my code is enabled, when setting it to '2' its grayed out. The compiler also agrees with that. This 'binary expression'thingy is just a warning of the IDE, it seems not to know about '==' or so.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Have a look here at Preprocessor chapter.

To get in contact with Cypress directly (this here is a developer forum) :

At top of this page select "Design Support -> Create a Support Case" and describe your problem.

Bob

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

So I tested this again with a PSoC5LP project, and it works exactly the same way (and everything is fine). The actual command line (taken from the build log) is this:

arm-none-eabi-gcc.exe -mcpu=cortex-m3 -mthumb -Wno-main -I. -IGenerated_Source\PSoC5 -Wa,-alh=.\CortexM3\ARM_GCC_493\Debug/main.lst -g -D DEBUG -D TESTDEF=2 -Wall -ffunction-sections -O0 -ffat-lto-objects -std=gnu11 -c .\main.c -o .\CortexM3\ARM_GCC_493\Debug\main.o

The IDE warning seems to come from the source code error checker not looking at the #defines in the build config. But it works nonetheless (even though the IDE always thinks the #IF is false always)

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

I think, the IDE does not know about parameters given to the compiler start.

So all references to symbols defined or set at command line are not taken into account in the IDE when displaying the sources.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

This issue will be fixed in PSoC Creator 4.0. 

0 Likes