CY5677 dongle "Not a valid CySmart dongle!"

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

We're using the CY5677 BLE dongle on one of our projects. It works great most of time 🙂

One issue is that sometimes it goes into a state where we cannot connect to it anymore, TryGetCySmartDongleCommunicator() returns "Not a valid CySmart dongle!".

This unfortunately is a showstopper for us because we won't have physical access to machine to press the 'reset' button or power cycle the dongle.

- Could you please share with us some insights on why/when does the dongle go into this state? Maybe we can handle those cases better from our code.

- Is there a way for us to automatically (remotely) reset the dongle when this happens?

Thank you,

Gabriel

0 Likes
7 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it possible to trigger the 'reset button' behaviour from within the dongle's firmware?

Could you build such a firmware that automatically resets when it goes into that 'not a valid cysmart dongle' state?

I suppose the firmware source code is not available to us, right? 🙂

Thank you!

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Cypress,

I do face this issue quite regularly. There is no way to get rid of this problem unless the dongle is removed and reinserted. It's quite annoying as we have a production tool based on this dongle.

Is it a known issue? Can you please help us to handle this issue?  

Please understand that changing the dongle and rewriting the test tool costs us time and money.

Thanks & Regards,

Sharan

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Sharan, I would suggest you to get in contact with Cypress directly: At top of this page select "Design support -> Create a Support Case" and ask your question. You will be helped by a Cypress engineer.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your quick response!

Will do it.

Thanks & Regards,

Sharan

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sharan and Cypress,

Is there any update on this issue? I am using the CY5677 dongle as well and it is very unstable when attempting to connect to multiple devices. The dongle goes into "Unsupported device" state and can only recover when unplugged. Is there a device that's more suited for a production environment where it will connect to multiple devices repeatedly throughout the day?

Thanks,

Jasmine

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try contacting cypress directly like @Bob.marlowe mentioned.

At top of this page select "Design support -> Create a Support Case" and ask your question. You will be helped by a Cypress engineer.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm seeing a similar issue with a different outcome.  We hav an application that utilizes the CySmart dongle located on COM1 and another non-CySmart device located on COM3.  Using Standard IO Ports to get a list of COM ports, we scan through the ports one at a time calling TryGetCySmartDongleCommunicator with each COM port.  9 of 10 times, the method returns the "Not a Valid CySmart Dongle!" message/status shown above.  But 1 of 10 times when attempting COM3 - the wrong com port - it just fails to return and the entire application has to be killed from the task manager.

Does anyone know if this function has a designated timeout and any ideas of what could keep it from returning  AT ALL?

0 Likes