How would I do OTA firmware update for an App that has to have resources on external flash?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Guys,

I have a web server App with web content much larger than the size of the internal flash of a HOST MCU. So, it seems that my only option is to have resource file system externally (i.e. on external flash).

(As far as I understand when an App image is programmed onto device its resources (encapsulated in read-only file system) can be loaded either onto internal flash or on external flash.)

How would I do OTA firmware update for an App that has to have resources on external flash?

I worked through OTA upgrade example, and my understanding is that resources must be compiled into the image.

Thanks in advance,

Oleg

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

when the resources are in an external flash, they are embedded inside a resources file system (which is one of the multi application blobs that the DCT keep track of). Your application is not part of this file system. When updating your application, the resources file system is still intact and your new application will access it in the say way as the old application.

To update the web pages and resources, you then need to update the resources file system itself. This is done in almost the same way as updating the application. Recently, Currently the OTA server allows only  to update the main application, however recently I have posted a TFTP implementation with a snip to update any file in the Multi application frame work.

Regards,

Bassem

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

when the resources are in an external flash, they are embedded inside a resources file system (which is one of the multi application blobs that the DCT keep track of). Your application is not part of this file system. When updating your application, the resources file system is still intact and your new application will access it in the say way as the old application.

To update the web pages and resources, you then need to update the resources file system itself. This is done in almost the same way as updating the application. Recently, Currently the OTA server allows only  to update the main application, however recently I have posted a TFTP implementation with a snip to update any file in the Multi application frame work.

Regards,

Bassem

0 Likes