How do I program a bluetooth interface?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everybody!

I have to program a Bluetooth interface for a project which transmits data I get from a vibration sensor.

After searching a convenient microcontroller I found the BCM20736S. I’ve downloaded the programming tool “Wiced Smart SDK” which has several examples even for programming a Bluetooth interface but I have no idea how to use the examples in the right way because I have no experience in this kind of programming.

Can you say me where I can get a good tutorial which helps me to get along in my programming? Or can you say me how to use the code examples in the right way so I can make use of them for my project?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

I second the recommendation to check out Anaren's Atmosphere system. It's a development environment that allows you to create the embedded code and mobile UI simultaneously. It's Wiced cool.

https://atmosphere.anaren.com/

View solution in original post

9 Replies
BoonT_56
Employee
Employee
500 likes received 250 likes received 100 likes received

the below will be a good source of the various app notes that have been posted on ble development:

WICED Smart Documents & Downloads

you may want to start with "how to write wiced smart applications" and "smart designer: using the smart ide to write customized applications"

0 Likes
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

Our SDK may be a bit of of challenge for the beginning programmer as it requires that the user already has a fair amount of experience in embedded development. We provide alot of example applications to assist with the learning curve, but it will take some time to get your arms around doing custom development.  The WICED Smart Quick Start Guide (SDK 2.x and TAG3 Board) is probably the best place to start as it contains an easy to use sample program that leverages our TAG3 development board.  The TAG3 development board is available through one of your local Broadcom Distributors

You may want to take a look at the Atmosphere product from Anaren as it provides a simple web based drag and drop environment that anyone can use.

In addition, ACKme Networks has their Bobcat product, which also abstracts alot of the low level programming complexities/semantics away from the user and lets you focus more on the application.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

What type of device is your vibration sensor?  SPI, I2C, other?  Have you purchased a TAG development board?  What type of host device will receive the vibration data.. iPhone, Android? Laptop?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Vibration sensor has a SPI and an I2C Interface. Until now I have not purchased a TAG development board.

Because I don't know to which type of host device I will send the data (after finishing this project) I want to send them to my Android so I can check if the program works right.

Anonymous
Not applicable

On the choice between I2C and SPI...

If you use the I2C interface be sure to give your vibration sensor I2C address a different number than the EEPROM on the BCM Module (000).  Probably the SPI interface will be easier (my bias maybe - you should consider them both and decide for yourself).  There are a couple of tricks you should know for using the SPI on the TAG board, so if you decide to use SPI let us know and we can help you overcome some of the inevitable hurdles, like selecting the SPI configuration to use and making sure the logic voltage levels between the BCM and your sensor are properly matched, and GPIO ports are configured properly... etc.

ehoffman

Anonymous
Not applicable

I second the recommendation to check out Anaren's Atmosphere system. It's a development environment that allows you to create the embedded code and mobile UI simultaneously. It's Wiced cool.

https://atmosphere.anaren.com/

Anonymous
Not applicable

The Anaren Atmosphere development kit seems to be a good idea Thank you!

If someone has this kit already: Which accelerometer is on the board? I need to know it for my documentation and further calculations.

0 Likes

Adding the Anaren folks so they can respond

anarennavigator mbowyer

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Anaren development board uses the STMicroelectronics LIS3DH accelerometer.

There's a very good Wiki page about the development board at:

https://atmosphere.anaren.com/wiki/index.php/A20737-MSDB