4 byte addressing of Cypress S25FL128S

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

We are using Cypress S25FL128S in one of our application platforms. In order to access 1Gb memory, we need to enable 4 byte addressing mode. Can we get a sample code to enable 4 byte addressing for this flash and other necessary instructions for sector programming.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,

0 Likes
9 Replies
SudheeshK
250 sign-ins First question asked 750 replies posted

Hello,

Are you migrating from 128Mb (S25FL128S ) part to our 1Gb (S70FL01GS) part? Please clarify.

You can download our low level driver for our SPI flash devices from the following link: http://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/low-level-driver-spi-flash?source=search&c..., you can use this as a reference to write your application to access our flash device.

Details about command sequence to program our flash devices are available in the datasheets. 

S25FL128S: http://www.cypress.com/file/177966/download

S70FL01GS: http://www.cypress.com/file/233721/download

Thanks and Regards,

Sudheesh

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your answer,

It's a mistake. I'm using the S25FL128S to store data. It's working with a 3 bytes address i can store data with Page Program, but i need to use a 4 bytes adress. And for the time being i cannot using it.

Do you have some sample code to enable and use  4 bytes addressing for this flash and other necessary instructions for sector programming.

Thanks & Regards,

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Julien,

In order to use 4 byte addressing scheme the BAR[7] bit has to be "1" .

The Bank Register Write ( BRWR 17h) command is  used to write the Extended address control bit (EXTADD) that is also in BAR[7]. 

Because this command is part of the addressing method and is not changing data in the flash memory, this command does not require the WREN command to precede it.

Once it is set you can page program (4PP) using instruction code "12h". Please try and let us know if you are facing any issues.

Thanks,

Krishna.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Krishna,

I tried to use the command 17h to send 01h to the extended address control, and after I tried to write with command 12h and read with the command 13h but I do not get anything

Best regards,

Julien,

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Julien,

Can you please let us know which MCU you are using. Does it support 4 byte addressing ?

Thanks,

Krishna.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Krishna,

I'm using the nrf52832 from Nordic.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Julien,

Can you read the values of BAR register, Status Registers, configuration register and provide the values to us. 

Is it possible for you to provide your code for review.

Thanks,

Krishna.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Julien,

I believe though S25FL128S device supports the extended address features in the same way it ignores bits 31 to 24 of any address because the main flash array only needs 24 bits of address. It  enables simple migration from the 128-Mb density to higher density devices without changing the address handling aspects of software. It could be one of the reasons why 4 byte addressing is not working in your case.

Thanks,

Krishna.

0 Likes
SudheeshK
250 sign-ins First question asked 750 replies posted

Hi Julien,

I could not understand the status registers, configuration register and bank address register data you provided. All these registers are of size 8 bits and the screen shots you attached shows these registers as an array of size 16 and type unsigned char. Could you please let me know how to decode it?

Thanks and Regards,

Sudheesh

0 Likes