Software version control?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

On prior embedded projects, I would debug some code, and get some bit of it working--and save a copy of that.  That way, if something broke, no matter how many changes I had made since the last "version" I could always roll back.  I would do this by basically doing a "save copy as", in which I would take the file name and append "_v1.3" or somesuch to it.  [That way, the working file would stay as it is, and I would not have to changing any linking.]

I don't see a "save copy as", though; just "save as".  Which brings me to question #2: can my main program file be something other than "main.c" or is it stuck with that as the main file?  Software is not my forte, and I haven't a real clue how other C projects are done.  If "main.c" could be anything, I could just keep updating this file name, and look back if necessary to other files if I made some mistake.

Thanks

Shawn

0 Likes
3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shawn,

There is a functionality implemented in Creator under "File" called "Create Workspace Bundle". This can do the job of archiving a version.

Hope this fulfils your needs.

Robert

0 Likes
ChristopherF_51
Employee
Employee
100 sign-ins 25 solutions authored 10 likes given

You can also copy and paste a file.  For example, select and copy main.c. Then select a folder and paste.  Creator will append "01" to the file name, and you can change it to anything you want.

You can also use Save As for an entire Project, but that might be overkill for what you want.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, that might work--make a "Archive" folder or somesuch, and do copy/paste, with appropriate version control (of my picking, if "01" "02" etc does not appeal to me).  Ok, that might take care of it.

Thanks.

Shawn

0 Likes