Reducing Code Spread on ADC DelSig Measurements

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Im having difficulty reducing the code spread on a simple DC voltage measurement using the Delta Sigma ADC on the PSOC 5 CY8C5588AXI-060 my simple test is outputting the converted codes via UART to my PC to examine the results. DC Voltage measurements are yielding code values with spreads from 50-200 codes!

I have tried passing the results through an FIR Filter, as well as using an external voltage reference and external clock source. I have even tried to use a Bypass decoupling capacitor on the internal voltage reference as the data sheet said this may help. The code spread improves slightly when the FIR filter is used:

ADC Configuration: MultiSample (Turbo), 16 Bit Resolution, 1000 SPS, VSSA - 2.048, Bypass Buffer

Filter Configuration: 1 ksps, 1 Filter Stage, Blackman, Lowpass, 120 Taps, 0.1 kHz, Data Ready Signal on Interrupt Request.

@1.2 V input to the ADC taking 1000 Samples

No Filter, Internal VREF (1.024): 380000 - 38100

Filter, Internal VREF (1.024): 37980 - 38060

Filter, Internal VREF (1.024), External Clock (250 kHz): 38120 - 38180

Filter, Ext Vref (1.024), External Clock (250 kHz) 38120 - 38165

My main issue is that i have no benchmark to compare against! How low is the ADC code spread actually capable of going on a simple measurement such as this? is there an optimal configuration for reducing this?

Thanks for your help!

0 Likes
2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fdszh,

A code spread of 50-200 looks strange.

Which board are you using for the measurement? Is it a custom board built by you or a kit supplied by Cypress.

Routing path plays an important role in Analog performance.

Also, what is the source of 1.2V you are using? If you are using a pot for this, then a noisy pot will give a wide spread in code.

If you are using CY8CKIT-001, then using Vadj will be a better option for testing as it provides a low noise analog output.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi David,

Thank you for your response!

Im using the Cypress CY8CKIT-001 with the PSOC 5 for the measurement.

To Supply the 1.2 V to the input of the ADC, im actually using an Audio Precision DCX-127. I use this for supplying both the ADC input votage, as well as an external reference voltage of 1.024. This is the most accurate and stable voltage source i have available to me.

I've attached a graph of my best possible test data so far and the configuration is as follows:

ADC Configuration: MultiSample (Turbo), 16 Bit Resolution, 1000 SPS, VSSA - 2.048, Bypass Buffer

Filter Configuration: 1 ksps, 1 Filter Stage, Blackman, Lowpass, 120 Taps, 0.1 kHz, Data Ready Signal on Interrupt Request.

External VREF (1.024): Audio Precision

External Analog Clock: Clocktype "New" / Source "Auto"/ Frequency "100 kHz"/ tolerance -1% -> 1%

Is this graphed data reasonable, or are better results from the ADC usually expected?

0 Likes