Failing to get idle to assert in TD Poll

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

We are using the bulk loop fifo example with a few modifications with the cy7c68013a 56 pin FX2LP.

The states are as follows:

GPIO PA2 is used to reset the Cypress cy7c4245 4K word fifo and a FPGA
GPIO PA3 is used to arm the FPGA
The FPGA waits for a external trigger
Once triggered the FPGA drops /WEN and latches time stamps(2 words), antenna rotation count (1 word) in the first 3 words and 4093 ADC samples into the remaining FIFO space until fifo full (/FF) drops. This is all completed with the ADC 25MHz sample clock
The fpga raises WEN and signals done via PA3 to the FX2LP
This works very well.

Now the problem:

With EP6 configured as an endpoint we trigger the GPIF as a master and move the fifo data to the host but with a problem. If we do not configure our S3 state to lower /REN and /OE then REN toggles instead of staying low so we read the fifo on every 3rd or 4th IFCLK/FIFO RCLK so it takes 500us to empty the fifo but we get all of the data and not empty fifo (/EF) returns low (i.e. empty).

If we set  IF /EF=1 AND /EF=1 go to S3 else go to idle and configure /WEN and /OE also using /EF we empty the fifo in an expected 85.3us (1/48MHz * 4096) and we see /FE go low as it should. But  we do not get a GPIF idle, ( it is the blue highlighted line below) and hang.

Setup_FLOWSTATE_Read();           // setup FLOWSTATE registers for FIFO Read operation
          SYNCDELAY;
          GPIFTRIG = GPIFTRIGRD | GPIF_EP6; // launch GPIF FIFO READ Transaction to EP6 FIFO
          SYNCDELAY;
          while( !( GPIFTRIG & 0x80 ) )     // poll GPIFTRIG.7 GPIF Done bit 

We have the RDY, CTL, /OE, IFCLK connected to /REN, /EF, RCLK, /OE correctly and we do drain the fifo.

I realize this is a bit sketchy. I'm hopeful someone has seen similar behavior before and has a suggestion or two where to look. 

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

The if check you are talking about is done only when entering the state. Say you are doing this from S2 it jumps to S3 then the go to idle you are talking about is going to happen only if you enter S2 again and the GPIF engine will go to idle. Is this what you are doing??

Regards,

Anand

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

The if check you are talking about is done only when entering the state. Say you are doing this from S2 it jumps to S3 then the go to idle you are talking about is going to happen only if you enter S2 again and the GPIF engine will go to idle. Is this what you are doing??

Regards,

Anand

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

In spite of the months between our posts this is timely.

Our code is:
If we set IF /EF=1 AND /EF=1 go to S3 else go to idle
We are doing this from S3 thinking that we should stay in S3 untill /EF (not empty fifo) asserts sending us to Idle.

You write:
 Say you are doing this from S2 it jumps to S3 then the go to idle you are talking about is going to happen only if you enter S2 again and the GPIF engine will go to idle.

If I understand your comment: In S3 we set IF /EF=1 AND /EF=1 go to S2 else go to idle. S2 would be a pass thru (OE and REN stays low, data is not active). We will loop S3-S2-S3... once empty fifo goes low we will get to idle upon entering S3 when the branch test occurs. This part makes sense...but if the branch occurs on entering S3 it would seem we will not be clocking IFCLK which I believe to be set in S3 by selecting "next fifo data", or does this also occur on entering the state?

0 Likes