USB with First Touch Starter Kit (CY8CKIT-014)

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm having touble establishing a UCB communication with the PSoC5 on the starter kit. Some background, I have already:

• Downloaded Cypress Suite USB 3.4.6
  •     
  • Read http://www.cypress.com/?app=forum&id=2233&rID=45003 and connect to r22/r23 as instructed (and thereby voided my warranty ;^)
  •     
  • Built the USB firmware in the USB suite (USBFS_Bulk_Wraparound-000) for the PSoC5 and programmed the First Touch hardware.
  •    

When I plug my jerry-rigged USB device into my PC, Windows informs that  "One of the USB devives attached to this computer has malfunctioned." I was hoping for a simple "not recognized" but got a "malfunctioned" (!).

Damn the torpedoes full steam ahead, I have modified CYUSB.inf multitple different ways in multiple different places. I've placed it in .../Driver/bin/wxp/x86 and /x64 since I am on Win7. The driver declines to load.

Looking thru device manager, I find an unknown USB device with a matching Device Class GUID but no VID/PID when I was expecting 0x04B4/0x8051. I think the enumeration process failed pretty badly. I don't blame the driver for not loading.

I attached a scope to D+/D- and found pretty reasonable look behavior. D+ is pulled high and D- is pulled low (I believe, identifying it as USB-FS). I see a number of transaction flit by on the scope. The signals appear differntial and at rational voltage levels (0V/3.3V). The pulse widths in the transactions are consistent with 12MHz operation (integer mulitples of 83nsec).

I cannot identify a fault in the hardware or firmware and yet can't attach the USB device....help?

-bill

P.S. Who thought the best (and only) way to display information from the First Touch Kit was "the wave"? My arm is tired damn it.

0 Likes
4 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Yes, PSoC rocks!

Happy coding
Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bill, are you saying that you hacked in to the FTK to use the USB functionality.  What was the firmware that you burnt in to PSoC5 device?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hacked the board to bring out the USB pins for the PSoC5 to a seperate connector per the above forum entry. The smaller micro (FTK?) used to manage the program interface is left untouched. I programmed the PSoC with the minimalist program found in the USB suite: USB_Bulk_Wraparound. Except for retargeting that code from PSoC3 to PSoC5, I have not changed anything.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

This could possibly be due to the voltage configuration of the board. In your code you might have initialised PSoC to operate at 5V and the board might be operating at 3.3V or vice-versa. For voltage selection there is a jumper on the First Touch Kit i guess. Can you flip this jumper and give it a shot(or you can flip the settings in the code).

If you have a CY8CKIT-001 or 030 or 050 you could try the code to make sure that code works fine. And by the way, are you sure SuiteUSB provides code for PSoC3 ?

0 Likes