driving the data bus without powering the 68013,does this damage the chip?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Driving the data bus or control pins without powering the 68013,does this damage the chip?

I have destroyed two chips these days. 

The short life time of 68013 reminds me that there must be something wrong in the operation.

I think it  would be a cause that drive the data bus without powering the 68013. Is it right? 

0 Likes
4 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

In my datasheet are under "Absolute Max. Ratings" two items that might apply.

first: DC voltage applied to oputputs in Hig-Z : -0.5V to Vcc +0.5V. In your case Vcc is 0V

second: DC voltage to any input pin with a note #15 saying DO NOT POWER I/O WHITH CHIP POWER OFF

So you are on rough, not on fairway.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. You should not power I/Os with out powering the chip.

Regards,

sai krishna.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all.

Regards,

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to get some more detail on what "Do not power the I/O without powering the 68013" actually means.

We are using the 68013a as a usb to parallel port adapter for a specific legacy product.  I am in the process of cleaning up the design, and there is a transistor setup to pull up the Data lines after the chip comes up.  What about when the chip is connected (As a product) to a parallel port, would this also be a problem, and if so, how would one over come the issue?

Trying to understand why the I/O lines can't be powered (other than the obvious) or what kind of powering can they take .

Thanks

0 Likes