Serial Ports are so 1990! Why not USB ?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

USB devices are so common today and it has pretty much become the standard of the day for data transfers and for many of the common applications. There is so much that can be done using USB. But how do you begin with USB? What is USB? What can I do with USB? 

To learn about USB basics and probably more, visit the following blog post, Serial Ports are so 1990!

0 Likes
1 Solution
ravo
Level 5
Level 5
10 likes received 5 comments on blog 5 solutions authored

USB is nice,

but for low volume < 1000 pcs is to better to use USB <-> rs232 chips. Or does Cypress offer to youse some PID/VID ? The USB licence is to expensive. http://www.usb.org/developers/vendor/

Have anybody another opinion ?

Radim

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
ravo
Level 5
Level 5

USB is nice,

but for low volume < 1000 pcs is to better to use USB <-> rs232 chips. Or does Cypress offer to youse some PID/VID ? The USB licence is to expensive. http://www.usb.org/developers/vendor/

Have anybody another opinion ?

Radim

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

As I read the licences, there is no additional fee when you use a Cypress USB-Product, just to buy the chip.

And a couple of solutions is right at hand as well,ave a look into the USB-forum(s)

Happy coding

Bob

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

oops, keyboard hanging, here is the missing "H": 'h'

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes it depends on the application most often, as pointed out by rvondra. But if the end application is actually not sold as a USB product and used to communicate with a host on the board, USB would be a very good choice taking in to consideration the reliability and ease with which you can program for USB in PSoC Creator. 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

In cases if you happen to claim USB supported on product, don't you need license?

And how the host and device will be recognized?

ravo
Level 5
Level 5

Dear U2:

>> But if the end application is actually not sold as a USB product and used to communicate with a host on the board, USB would be a very good choice taking in to consideration the reliability and ease with which you can program for USB in PSoC Creator.

So you mean that I can create "non-certified" USB product with Cypress PID and VID in my product ? 

Regards

Radim 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

For me,the reason that USB hasnt been the first choice is because of the host application coding required.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Writing a custom Application for USB might seem diffficult at first sight. However when you actually start implementing you will realise that with the he;p of standard libraries available it should be very easy. This brings another point to my mind. There are some standard libraries like Libusb which can be used to develop USB appplications. These libraries are platform/OS independent and it works seamlessly on Linux, Windows and MAC. Thats an added advantage compared to serial ports. Moreover serial ports are going away from standard computers.

0 Likes