Control register bit names

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

It would be really great for design documentation if we could name the bits in a control register.

Right now the component labels them control_0, control_1, ...

If the customizer had fields where we could provide more descriptive names that would then be displayed in the drawing, that would be awesome.

If someone does this, be sure to test it with names like "Channel:0", "Channel:1", etc because it is pretty common to have a multi-bit field in a control register (for example to control a mux/demux).

0 Likes
5 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

YES! Add me to the whish-list!

And when you start with that, do not forget the LUT which woud become more clear at first sight when the in- and output names could be choosen freely.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good point about the LUT, I hadn't used one in a while so I forgot about that, but it would be extremely helpful there as well. I remember getting very confused a couple of times with my BLDC commutation table about which input was the direction input and things like that.

0 Likes
markgsaunders
Employee
Employee
50 sign-ins 10 solutions authored 5 solutions authored

I see no reason why we'd NOT do this. Just enable you guys to name the bits and generate #define macros so that the APIs are easier to use. I'll add this request to our list.

Thanks for the suggestions - but I obviously cannot comment on a timeline to address this.

- Mark.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome.

Good call, macros would make it even better. I was just thinking of printing the name on the schematic so that someone can read the schematic more easily, but if the same name is used in the code that is obviously even better.

I wasn't pressing for a time commitment, just raising it as a nice to have for v.Next.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Hey, that is music in my ears! I'm eager waiting for to update my old projects as long as I still remember what the bits were for!

Bob

0 Likes