Two feature requests for PSoC Creator

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone.

I'm really getting to grips with PSoC Creator now and I am overall very pleased with it.

However I have 2 enhancement requests....

1. Can we get the ability to drag and drop files between groups (folders) in the Workspace Explorer? If I accidentally create a .h file in the 'Source files' folder I'd like to be able to drag it to the 'Header files' folder rather than have to delete/add it manually. That would be nice.

2. Can we get the option to automatically do a 'clear all' on the output window at the start of every compile? That would be nice also.

I hope someone from Cypress dev team is here to pass these comments onto the development team. Keep up the great work, PSoC creator is a real time saving dev tool.

-Kenny

0 Likes
19 Replies
ChristopherF_51
Employee
Employee
100 sign-ins 25 solutions authored 10 likes given

Hi Kenny,

Thank you very much for your post. We are always striving to improve PSoC Creator, and we value comments, questions and suggestions. Nearly all of the development team, as well as many other Cypress employees are constantly monitoring this forum.

1. As far as I know, you can already drag and drop files in the WorkSpace Explorer.  For example, drag any user created file to another folder and the cursor icon should change from the "NO" symbol to a "box" symbol.  It will stay a NO symbol in the current folder.  Let us know if this doesn't work. If needed, I will try to post a video showing how this is done.

2. For the "Clear All" option, I will submit a feature request on our internal system.

Thanks again for your input, and thank you for using PSoC Creator!

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi..

I've been working with PSoC 5 for the past month or more - and I have another feature request - a keyboard shortcut (Ctrl + PgUp / PgDn) to view succesive pages in the schematic, and to view successive open files (in tabs).

Thanks!

~Abhijit

0 Likes
ChristopherF_51
Employee
Employee

You can toggle between open documents (schematic, main.c, cydwr, etc.) using Ctrl+Tab.

There is currently no keyboard shortcut for switching between schematic pages, but I will submit the request on our internal system.

Thanks for the post. Keep the coming!

0 Likes
ChristopherF_51
Employee
Employee

I was wrong.  I just learned that to switch between schematic pages, use [Ctrl]+[F6]. You can also use [Ctrl]+[Shift]+[F6] to go in reverse direction.

Always learning !

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

It would be nice to have a "Go to definition" option on the right click context menu which takes me to the definition of that particular function or variable.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

>>It would be nice to have a "Go to definition" option on the right click context menu which takes me to the definition of that particular function or variable.

Yes I'd second that 🙂

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd like to add another feature request, If you could have a "Comment Selection" to the Right Click menu in any code window(along with Insert Breakpoint,Break Here once,etc.)

Great IDE,otherwise.Cant wait for 2.0 🙂

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would like to have the creator to clean up unconneted wires automatically.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would also love that feature where the creator would clear all the unconnected wires.

Another thing I have tried and not found a way to do is to make a specific file view window in creator as floating. I use multiple monitors and always find it useful if i could undock that topdesign or cydwr view from the creator and place it on anotehr monitor and write my code in the other.

If you have a huge design this might also to have the schematic on one view and design wide resource on another.

0 Likes
ChristopherF_51
Employee
Employee

Hi All,

Many of the code editor feature requests are already in the queue, but I have no idea when they will be implemented.  As you may know, in the 2.0 release we implemented the Export to IDE feature to allow code development in uVision.  This feature will be improved for the upcoming 2.0 public release.  However, the basic Creator code editor remains mostly unchanged.

As for the Floating window, that only works for tool windows like the Component Catalog or Workspace Explorer. For Document windows like cydwr or cysch, the best you can do is split the window into a different pane. Unfortunately, this is a limitation of how the Actipro framework was implemented. I will submit a request on our internal system. Perhaps it is easy enough change this behavior?

0 Likes
ChristopherF_51
Employee
Employee

Also, for unconnected wires, I am not sure Creator can determine whether or not an unconnected wire is intentional or not.  You can create a wire all by itself on a schematic. I am not sure anyone would want to do that, but you can.

A near-future feature will be rubber-banding, in which if you move components on your schematic, Creator will attempt to redraw the wires.  It is possible this will also include the clean-up process that was mentioned here.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Psoc creator will not compile with a wire not connecting to anything, i.e. open on both end. (Mostly after removing components) So would it be possible to delete it automatically after telling the user there are unconnected wires. If the user accept the clean up, just go ahead to remove it automatically. It would save time for the user to find it and do it manually and I think the ability to detect that wire is already available. Why not use it?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sure i'm not the first to say this, but please consider having a linux version of your tools! In my lab we have had to install windows only to use PSoC Creator.

I have been trying to get the tool to run on WINE but with no luck - the installer just fails in the first stage...

~Abhijit

0 Likes
ChristopherF_51
Employee
Employee

For the wire connection, you are correct that an unconnected wire will not build.  However, if you connect an input pin somewhere in the middle of that wire to remove the error, and leave both ends of the wire unconnected, it will build.  How does Creater determine what part of the wire should be removed?  I know that the wire feature is being improved in a future release. I will make sure the team knows about the request for an "auto-cleanup" feature.

For the Linux request, I have seen other requests for this feature as well.  I am not sure what the status of that feature is, but I will make sure it is included in our internal system.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice to see improved tools for this good product line. keep the good work

0 Likes
HuEl_264296
Level 5
Level 5
First like given 25 sign-ins First solution authored

> I just learned that to switch between schematic pages, use [Ctrl]+[F6]. You can also use [Ctrl]+[Shift]+[F6] to go in reverse direction.

Argh, this is a terrible key combination. So now we have:

Shift F6 = compile

Ctrl F5 = program

Ctrl F6 = next page

Ctrl Shift F6 = prev page

I can see myself accidently re-compiling and programming all the time while trying to switch pages.  Why not just make it a simple key, like the Pg up / down as kabhijit suggested?  Currently Pg up / down seem to do nothing in the schematic.

Hugo

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a doc which contains all the short keys listed apart from the ones that are mentioned across the options? 

~ srim

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear Cypress community, could we please have the ability to drop .pdfs or even .docs or docxs into the workspace so my working notes and standard  documentation I am trying to program to can be conveniently kept in the one workspace 🙂

thank u!

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello JohnSpark,

You can do it 🙂

Refer attached screenshot for the same.

Procedure to do it:

1. Add new folder to the project.

2. Add any file that you want to add in this folder.

Is this satisfy your requirement?

Thanks,

RJEN

0 Likes