Programming PSoC5 with miniprog3 using 5pin connector

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, i am trying to program PSoC5 CY8C5566AXI-061 on a custom made PCB using 5pin connector, with miniprog3  (active protocol: SWD). The CY8C5566AXI-061 is detected correctly in PSoC Creator. In PSoC programmer is detected as CY8C5586AXI-061. The board is powered from external source.

Anyways, when i try to program it from PSoC Creator i get the error (same happens from  PSoC Programmer): 

Error: dbg.M0023: There was an error while programming the device: PSoC Programmer reported error (100 - FAILED! SWD respond packet contains Failed status!)

(I tryed to lower the clock speed but nothing changed)

The settings from PSoC Creator are:

Active Protocol: SWD

Clock speed: 1.6MHz

Power: External

Acquire mode: Reset

Connector: 5pin

The settings from PSoC Programmer are:

Programmer: MiniProg3

Programming mode: Reset

Auto detection: OFF

Protocol: SWD

Voltage: 5V

Connector: 5p

Clock Speed: 1.5MHz

Device: CY8C5566AXI-061

The pin connectios from MiniProg3 to PSOC5 (on the custom made PCB) are:

VTARG - VDDDIO1 

GND - GND

XRES - XRES (on pin 15)

SCLK - P1[1] (on pin 21)

SDAT - P1[0] (on pin 20)

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
23 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since power is set to external, make sure that VDDD, VDDA and VDDIOs are all powered. Try to also ensure that the voltage setting in the programmer setting and on the board match.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ensure that all the hardware connections are right. Also if, the 5 pin connection does not work, flip to 10 pin connection setting , but keep the wiring such that SWD lines are correct.

0 Likes
kemic_264446
Level 4
Level 4
First like received

Also, with the miniprog3 - if you set the power to 'external' because your device is self-powered, you MUST route that power to the  VTARG pin of the 5-pin connector. The miniprog3 always checks that there is the correct voltage there, whether it is powered from the miniprog or from the board.

Also, the connection from the miniprog3 to the psoc must be as short as possible. I once made up a small ribbon cable to reduce strain on my miniprog3 which was less than 2cm long - but it was enough to make all attempts to program the device fail.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I made the PCB again, and i still got the same error, i've changed the external supply to 3.3V.

Error: dbg.M0023: There was an error while programming the device: PSoC Programmer reported error (100 - FAILED! SWD respond packet contains Failed status!)

I am not sure if i powered correctly the PSoC:

pin 10, 12, 13 and 14 to GND (i found this in CY8C55 Family Data sheet, page8)

pin26 (VDDIO1) to 3.3V (this connect to VTARG of the 5 pin connector from Miniprog3 too)

pin37 (VDDD) to 3.3v 

pin38 (VSSD) to GND

pin39 (VCCD) to pin86(VCCD) (there are no connections with other pins), this is the internal 1.8V regulator, i can measure this voltage when the board is powered 

pin50(VDDIO3) to 3.3V 

pin63 (VCCA) connected with a capacitor to GND (there are no connections with other pins), this is the other internal 1.8V regulator, and i can measure this voltage when the board is powered

pin64 (VSSA) to GND

pin65(VDDA) to 3.3V

pin66(VSSD) to GND

pin75(VDDIO0) to 3.3V 

pin86 (VCCD) to pin39(VCCD) (there are no connections with other pins), this is the internal 1.8V regulator, i can measure this voltage when the board is powered 

pin87(VSSD) to GND

pin88(VDDD) to 3.3V

pin100(VDDIO2) to 3.3V

The programmer is configured as i sad in the previous post, i changed the voltage to 3.3V in the Programmer Characteristics tab.(because i changed the external power supply to 3.3V).

I have a CY8CKIT-001 dev board, and i managed to program the PSoC5 (which came with the dev board) with the 5pin connector(i used the breadboard for this). So, MiniProg3 is not broken or something. 

I didn't try to program my board with the 10 pin connector, i don't have the connectors yet.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The reset is active on 0 on PSoC5, so i guess a pull-up resistor is necessary on XRES pin. But i should be able to pogram with succes without the pull-up resistor, is that correct? And in the worst case, the PSoC is in reset mode even after programming it.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I encountered similar issues while working on a custom design,and its most likely due to improper connections with the power pins,i.e noisy supply,not enough storage/decoupling caps,or shorts between VDDD and ground,or not all the VDDIOs being powered.

That said,if you could post your schematic,it would help us help you,since this is definitlely a design issue,not a software or miniprog one.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

XRES has an internal pullup,so you dont need one externally.However,this has been reported to be 'weak' at times,so adding an ext pullup is worth a shot,though I doubt that is the case here.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think adding a pull up should mitigate the problem. Have you tried that ? Is your VDDIO1 connected to VTARG of Miniprog ? Please post your schematic here.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is the schematic  .DSN(made in Orcad Schematic 9.2), and the pcb file .PCB (made in Protel2.7.1). 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The values for capacitors are as mentioned in the CY8C55 Family Datasheet, on page8. I added a 10k pull-up resistor, but nothing changed. 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is the .dxf for the schematic. I don't know if orcad can generate a .png file or .jpg file for the schematic. Sorry for the inconvenience. You can open .dxf file with SolidWorks eDrawings or other dxf viewer.      http://wtrns.fr/nzrp4XaJ1DGXnNM

0 Likes
JOLO_264146
Level 4
Level 4
First like received Welcome!

I don't know if this comment can "illuminate" something: I discover today  why a customer can't debugger (and download firmware) in a 5588LTI-114 using miniprog3 and 5pin. Creator 1.0 SP2 see perfectly 5588AXI-060 (default micro, micro mounted in kit-001 or kit-050) but if you have mounted LTI part, Creator doesn't see it, although programmer can.
With Creator 2.0 no problem. And in my case, it's not possible change to Creator 2.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here i uploaded the schematic in .pdf format. Sorry for the multiple posts, i didn't knew how to simply copy-paste the schematic from orcad to inkscape and " File-> Save as-> Portable Document Format( .pdf)" in inkscape.

I didn't tryied with Creator1 or other version of programmer but i am going to try that too.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is someone who programmed with succes this kind of PSoC on a custom made pcb? Here is the pdf with schematic (in previous post i forgot to write the link      http://wtrns.fr/-p1pia1Z13NffA0 ) 

0 Likes
KishoreS_96
Employee
Employee
5 sign-ins 50 replies posted 25 replies posted

Hi,

Instead of using XRES pin, you are using P1.2 in your schematic. Are you enabling the optional XRES for P1.2 in Creator? Instead, you can use the XRES pin (pin no 15) for port acquire.

Regards,

Kishore.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi adix_pop,

As mentioned by Kishore, use dedicated XRES pin (pin 15) for programming the very first time. In the project, you can set the "Use optional XRES" in .cydwr > System > Programming/Debugging section.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

On the schematic you can see that XRES(pin15) is connected to the Jumper. Before programming the device, i short the jumper first, so that the XRES(pin15) gets on MiniProg3's XRES pin (which will connect to Con programare on the board).

So: XRES(PIN15), pin3(from Con programare to which is attached the miniprog3 programmer), P1[2](pin22) are all shorted if the jumper is shorted.

I used the jumper because i needed as many pins on the external 10 pin connector. And we are going to use the 10 pin connector (from miniprog3) too and is going to be connected to the Con Programare C5. That's why we need XRES on C5. (i know that the 10 pin connector from miniprog 3 won't match with the 10 pin connector Con Programare C5, i will make an adapter or something). 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Problem solved. P1[2] (pin22) should not be shorted with XRES. So, there was a design problem. 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a new version of a PCB that refused to accept a program, and produced the same "SWD respond packet contains Failed status" message. For this version I had grounded the unused IO pins, following good practice, and one of them was P1[2]. I did not realize that there is an option in the project's "Design Wide Resources" System tab called "Use Optional XRES" that was checked by default. Un-checking that option fixed the problem.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
SAJO_1338106
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 5 replies posted

Hi Alwyn,

I am also facing the programming issue on the custom PCB of CY8C5868AXI-LP035. I checked the voltage at all the power pins and found to be as per the specification. Using 10 pins, the device is getting detected but while programming I am getting the error message"". Attachment contains gerber, schematic, project files, and images for debugging. Appreciate any assistance.

0 Likes
SAJO_1338106
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 5 replies posted

Hi Alwyn,

For the first time programming, I tried "Reset Mode" and shorted the nXRES(Pin no. 15) OF PSoC with the /XRES(Pin no. 10) of Miniprog3  using a wire. This solved the problem. For the first time programming, PSoC's XRES has to be used.

0 Likes