Two instances of the same hardware

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, if two identical FX2-based devices are plugged into the PC, how can I discern one from the other? I do not have the ability to do this in the EEPROM. But as I look through the USB Properties in Device Manager, I see Address is set differently for each device (right click on USB device, go to details, then property = address)

However, this doesn't seem to coincide with the value I get when I look at the device property USBAddress 

Can someone shed some light on this? What is the best way to communicate with two identical devices connected to the same PC? 

Thanks

0 Likes
3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

Can you tell us more about your project implementation so that we can help you out. Why cant you use different PIDs?

Thanks

Prajith

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The device is a USB voltmeter. The user might want to have one connected, or 4 connected. It doesn't make sense ot have different PID for each.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can add serial number string descriptor. Use the serial number to identify the device you're interacting with.

Regards,

Anand

0 Likes