Regarding NVSRAM H/W deisgn

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear Sir,

I am using the CY14B101P for one of application for data logging. Following design support from you:

1.       Operating voltage: I am planning to provide 3.3V regulated voltage to the NVSRAM.

Is it okay or any suggestions?

2.       Controller Interface: My uC operates with 5V.  5V-3.3V & 3.3V-5V converter using transistor (BC848) were used in between the uC & NVSRAM.

3.       3.6V battery Ni-Cd battery, I am planning to provide to NVSRAM, after suitable voltage drop (3.2V), using 2 diodes in series.

4.       I am planning to charge the Ni-Cd battery using 5V supply with a suitable diode & resistor combination. Shall I charge the battery, when connected to NVSRAM, with the presence of 3.3v supply to NVSRAM?

Kindly send your reply.

With regards,

Jayaraj.A

0 Likes
1 Solution
ShivendraSingh
Employee
Employee
25 solutions authored 50 replies posted 10 solutions authored

Dear  Jayaraj ,

Please find the response below

1.  Operating voltage: I am planning to provide 3.3V regulated voltage to the NVSRAM. Is it okay or any suggestions?

CY14B101PA is a 3V (2.7V-3.6V) device so keeping VCC=3.3V is alright. 

2. Controller Interface: My uC operates with 5V.  5V-3.3V & 3.3V-5V converter using transistor (BC848) were used in between the uC & NVSRAM. Is it okay or any suggestions?

As long as logic levels on the nvSRAM's IO pins are maintained , device will work without any issue. When connecting a 5V IO logic standard with 3V logic IO standard, the VIL, VIH and VOL, VOH specs must be properly verified for its compatibility for the logic leveles between the two devices. If logic levels falls within device range, devices will work without any issue.  

3.  3.6V battery Ni-Cd battery, I am planning to provide to NVSRAM, after suitable voltage drop (3.2V), using 2 diodes in series. Is it okay or any suggestions?

As long as VCC stays within 2.7V to 3.6V, device will work properly. 3.2V is ok for the nvSRAM.

4.  I am planning to charge the Ni-Cd battery using 5V supply with a suitable diode & resistor combination. Shall I charge the battery, when connected to NVSRAM, with the presence of 3.3v supply to NVSRAM?

I dont see any issue with this configuration. If you are anticipating any spific condition where you think it may be an issue then please let me know, I can review and let you know the impact if any. Otherwise it ok to use nvSRAM in above configuration as you have mentioned. 

Best Regards,

Shivendra

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
ShivendraSingh
Employee
Employee
25 solutions authored 50 replies posted 10 solutions authored

Dear  Jayaraj ,

Please find the response below

1.  Operating voltage: I am planning to provide 3.3V regulated voltage to the NVSRAM. Is it okay or any suggestions?

CY14B101PA is a 3V (2.7V-3.6V) device so keeping VCC=3.3V is alright. 

2. Controller Interface: My uC operates with 5V.  5V-3.3V & 3.3V-5V converter using transistor (BC848) were used in between the uC & NVSRAM. Is it okay or any suggestions?

As long as logic levels on the nvSRAM's IO pins are maintained , device will work without any issue. When connecting a 5V IO logic standard with 3V logic IO standard, the VIL, VIH and VOL, VOH specs must be properly verified for its compatibility for the logic leveles between the two devices. If logic levels falls within device range, devices will work without any issue.  

3.  3.6V battery Ni-Cd battery, I am planning to provide to NVSRAM, after suitable voltage drop (3.2V), using 2 diodes in series. Is it okay or any suggestions?

As long as VCC stays within 2.7V to 3.6V, device will work properly. 3.2V is ok for the nvSRAM.

4.  I am planning to charge the Ni-Cd battery using 5V supply with a suitable diode & resistor combination. Shall I charge the battery, when connected to NVSRAM, with the presence of 3.3v supply to NVSRAM?

I dont see any issue with this configuration. If you are anticipating any spific condition where you think it may be an issue then please let me know, I can review and let you know the impact if any. Otherwise it ok to use nvSRAM in above configuration as you have mentioned. 

Best Regards,

Shivendra

0 Likes