internal routing between analog modules

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi developers,

i have a doubt regarding internal routing between two analog modules through port pins. can any pin which is configured as an analog module's output can also be used as an input to other module? in other words can its "drive" setting be "strong" and simultaneously its "select" setting be "analoginput" 

for example the port 0 pin 5 can be an output pin from a buffer at the same time can it be used in the input side of another PGA ?

0 Likes
6 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

You may set the output to "strong" and define it as analog input at the same time. The question is:does that make sense? The analog input (your PGA) will "see" the voltage on the pin, which is a digital (outputted) signal and has its defined voltage-levels.

So, what do you want to accomplish or is it just a kind of theoretical question? Keep in mind, that with the internal routing you may of course generate shortcuts and other quite unusable configurations.

Happy routing

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi bob,

The doubt arised from this project regarding peakholding. in this project see the port 0 pin  4. which acts as an output and as an input at the same time.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

sorry some how the attachment is not shown. 

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi bob, 

previously a project zip file could'nt be attached .but now i have attached a BMP file. please refer to pin 0_4 which configured as both a buffer output and as an analog input. is it right to do so. 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's your specific application? If I base it on what you said as peakholding, are you planning to attach a capacitor/resistor?

There are drive modes, e.g. Open Drain High, wherein an output 1 generates a strong HIGH output, an output 0 activates High Z and reading the port will get the status of the port.

You have also an option to modify the PRTxDMx registers (PRT0DM0/PRT0DM1/PRT0DM2 for port 0) on the fly so you can switch between strong digital I/O and analog input for the same pin.

Your intended application will dictate the best way to configure the PSoC.

0 Likes