Basic "New User" Question About The PSoC

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Group,

I'm new to the PSoC device and have a "simple" question.

I'm currently using the PSoC 3 development kit's example program "Voltage Display" where the value of a voltage, controlled by a pot is displayed on the LCD screen.

The C code for the project has a number of control statements relating to taking samples/averaging results/etc. Does that mean that when the code is placed into the PSoC chip, that the 8051 controller is also placed into the device to impliment the C Code ?

If so, it sure is a powerful device .

Marc

0 Likes
10 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Hi Marc,

welcome in the fantastic world of PSoC!

Within the PSoC3 there is not only an 8051 core, but flash, EEProm, sRam, analog modules like ADCs, DACs, Muxes, digital blocks and interfaces as USB, SPI, I2C, UART and I'm sure to have forgotten some.

And that's not all, there is a PSoC5 containig as the core an ARm Cortex 3.

When you want to start developing with PSoC I would suggest to get hands on a "Kit-001" which contains a board with a LC-display, and some other helpful hardware, a miniprog3 (for programming AND DE-BUGGING) and 3 exchangeable processor-modules with a PSoC1, 3 and 5 each.

I like PSoCs!

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bob,

Thanks for the reply. Let me add some more info ; I have a PSoC3 development kit. I have programed the Voltage Display example and it works very well.

So, is the 8051 actually running the C code that I put in the PSoC ? It seems so easy, that just by writing code in the main.c area that a complete microcomputer is developed and installed into the device.

Marc

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Probably the 8051 core is already (pre)installed in the PsoC and not downloaded with your design, but the (compiled) C-Code is and the hardware-connections as well.

Bob

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

Not only propable, there _is_ a MCU core in the PsoC (8051 for the PSoC3, ARM Cortex-M3 for the PSoC5). So downloading stuff to the PSoC consists of two parts: download a program to the MCU flash memory, and program the hardware according to your schematic. Think of it as a MCI with attached CPLD / FPGA, just that it can also to analog stuff...

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the information.

So, the device is really a powerful device in that application software and the hardware can be easily put into the PSoC.

Marc

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another basic question regarding the PSoC device.

I found a useful application note that provides AM modulation and demodulation. The application note contains various files for the user to implement.

But, just how do you used the different files ? How do you load them into PSoC creator ? Just open the workspace file and all the other files automatically load ?

Marc

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, all the files are automatically added to  the workspace when the project is opened. If you want additional files to be added, Right clcik on project name in workspace explorer and add--> existing files.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

With regard to " all the files are automatically added to the workspace when the project is opened ", what location do the files have to be in so that the project file can find them ?

Marc

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Although tHere is a given structure for a project the information for the complete path (for an added file for instance) is kept within the project file. This is the reason why copying a project might lead to a file not found when opened.

Are you asking for a theoretical reason or are you fighting with a special issue?

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bob,

Thanks for the reply. My question is in regard to the application note for a modulator/demodulator. For the application note, the files were  "zip" versions that I "think" I put in the correct location...but I was not sure. The application note has seperate "zips" for workspace and other files, and I just didn't understand the way the files get loaded in to the workspace.

Marc

0 Likes