Bluetooth Low Energy - Can WICED 3.1.1 support 'Peripheral' (advertising) mode?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm using a standard Broadcom Evaluation Board (BCM943341) that provides BLE operation. -- WICED 3.1.1 environment.

However, up to this point, I've only been able to use it in CENTRAL mode.  That is, it can't advertise bytes.

This capability has been available in iOS (iPhones, etc.) and, just recently, in Android Lollipop (5.0).

When are we going to have Peripheral mode available for WICED?

-- Robert

vik86

0 Likes
1 Solution

yusun@broadcom.com
idicrc01

Note that the new WICED SDK 3.3.1 SDK supports peripheral mode via a sample application called ble_proximity_reporter.

wiced-43341-board-ble-perpmode.png

wiced-43341-board-ble-perpmode2.png

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
VikramR_26
Employee
Employee
25 sign-ins 10 sign-ins 10 comments on KBA

Hi Robert,

On the WICED SDK 3.1.2, there is an app called as bt_rfcomm server/client. Do you think this helps you answer your question ?

Thnx

vik86

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

vik86:

Thanks for you response.  No, the bt_rfcomm app demonstrates Bluetooth connectivity, not Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) peripheral mode.

0 Likes

We include some level of BLE Support within the following sample applications inside the WICED SDK: bt_smartbridge, smartbridge_console and bt_smartbridge_mfg_test.

I don't believe any of these apps support peripheral mode.

Specifically, /Wiced-SDK/Apps/demo/bt_smartbridge acts as a central and scans for remote Bluetooth Smart devices and allows users to select which device to connect. Users then interact with the app via a webpage running on a local webserver. Once a connection to a remote device is established, services and characteristic values for the device are reported in real-time on the webpage.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

You may have to implement this feature yourself on top of the LE stack.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Peripheral Mode has been available in iOS iPhones/iPads for a year now and will be available this month to most Android users (Lollipop version).  I'm suprised it isn't available in WICED seeing that an embedded device is typically the Bluetooth LE network member that is advertising some information.  To only have Central mode is very restrictive.  I wonder if Peripheral Mode is due in an upcoming WICED release?

Cheers, Robert

0 Likes

yusun@broadcom.com
idicrc01

Note that the new WICED SDK 3.3.1 SDK supports peripheral mode via a sample application called ble_proximity_reporter.

wiced-43341-board-ble-perpmode.png

wiced-43341-board-ble-perpmode2.png

0 Likes