Max number of Timers?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

The datasheet shows that PSoC3 has 4 Timer/Counter/PWM blocks. So, how many timers can I use in one project? It's not clear to me in there is only one timer available per block. I may need more than four timers.

0 Likes
5 Replies
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

If you want to use the FixedFunction timers / counters, you are limited by the blocks available in the PSoC3. But you can also use the UDB based timers / counters. There you are limited only by the available digital blocks. An 8bit counter needs one UDB, so you can place 24 of them at most. Together with the 4 fixed function blocks,. this makes 28 (provided you don't need any other digital logic...).

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Of course the question has more implications than just how many.

Do you have an ISR attached to each, if so how many MIPS does the service routine need.

Add their needs up, that will govern qwhats left for the rest of the application.

How many unique clocks do you need, 1 per Timer, you may wind up exhausting these

before you exhaust UDB blocks.

Just some additional considerations.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can also use software timers as well

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Software timers = MIPs. Nothing for free.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are right, it is not free. But for slow frequency counting, it is a doable option if running out of hardware resourse.

0 Likes