Can you recommend a JTAG programmer?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I want to connect to my own devboard via JTAG JLINK using WICED.

What programmer should I use? How do I make the programmer work?

6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
We recommend you use an Olimex ARM USB-Tiny or ARM USB-TINY-H programmer.

Use of a Segger programmer is also possible.

To use the Olimex programmer, follow the instructions in <WICED-SDK-2.2.1>/Tools/OpenOCD/Olimex_README.txt

I have copied the instructions below for reference.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Usage instructions for Olimex ARM USB TINY & TINY-H programmers

---------------------------------------------------------------

1. Plug the Olimex USB JTAG Tiny (or Tiny-H) programmer into a USB port on your PC
  2. Download & extract http://sourceforge.net/projects/libusb-win32/files/libusb-win32-releases/1.2.6.0/libusb-win32-bin-1....
  3. run /libusb-win32-bin-1.2.6.0/bin/inf-wizard.exe to create a driver for the ARM-USB-TINY or ARM-USB-TINY-H, and install it.
  4. Ensure the WICED eval board is powered (by USB or external +5V), and that the Olimex programmer is plugged into the JTAG port of the EVB
  5. Try downloading the scan app to the board using one f the following commands (change the build string to suit your RTOS/TCP stack/board):
    • snip.scan-BCM943362WCD4 JTAG=Olimex_ARM-USB-TINY download run
    • snip.scan-BCM943362WCD4 JTAG=Olimex_ARM-USB-TINY-H download run   

Note that it is also possible to use the Olimex JTAG programmer with a standard WICED Eval Board.

Instructions are included in the WICED Eval Board Users Guide available in the <WICED-SDK>/Doc directory.
MaGr_2160016
Level 4
Level 4
First like received First like given
I am using the Olimex USB JTAG Tiny with the OpenOCD and the configuration file provided with the WICED SDK and it works perfectly. Having used it with other processors in the past, knowing how much effort was needed to write the proper configuration file, I really appreciated receiving the custom OpenOCD and the file with the SDK.

I would like to reduce the pin count for JTAG in the target board we are designing with WICED, and use ARM-SWD. Does anyone know if it works with the Olimex USB Tiny and a cable adapter, without changes to the configuration files or OpenOCD?

Thanks,

-Marco G.
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the positive feedback.

OpenOCD doesnt currently support SWD out of the box.

We are actively working on adding SWD support to the OpenOCD code base and the WICED SDK.

Hopefully this will be available in the next SDK release.
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
hi Jason:

can we use jlink to download image? from WICED-EUM201-R.pdf, there is a mention to use jlink. after i added a JTAG=jlink option, but i failed to download image. thanks

BR
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I have the same question and have found some JTAG debugging clone tool for very less money, now i wonder if its bona work with WICED SDK.

New Ulink 2 USB JTAG Emulator ARM9 Cortex Keil Ulink II | eBay

Thank you

Sergii T.

0 Likes
grphc_1578046
Level 4
Level 4
10 likes received First like received First like given

FYI You can get the ARM-USB Tiny -H Arm Jtag on Amazon - Amazon.com: ARM-USB-TINY-H Arm Jtag: Office Products

0 Likes