implementation of bio medical signals recording using PSoC

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi sir, i have doubt regarding the leds using to measure the oxygen concentration in human bieng , we design the sytem with a clip ,on  one side of the clip we place a two leds. My question is  why only we use red, infrared leds. why not other leds. What is the technical reason behind that .

0 Likes
1 Solution
ArvindK_86
Employee
Employee
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins 10 solutions authored

Hi nalini,

Can you tell me more about your application? Usually Instrumentation amplifiers are recommended for medical designs.

They are known as INSAMP in PSoC Designer and can be found under the "Amplifiers" category in User module window.

You will be able to read differential signals as well as amplify them (Gain = 2x to 16x) using INSAMP. Alternatively you can also use a programmable gain amplifier (PGA) with gain upto 48 times input signal.

You can find an example implementation of the INSAMP here > http://www.cypress.com/?id=4&rID=58579

Regards,

Arvind

View solution in original post

0 Likes
26 Replies
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

You need to use a RED and a INFRARED led in design.

This should help - http://www.oximetry.org/pulseox/principles.htm

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanx sir , which information u gave to me is very useful. thank u

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank u sir

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi sir,

where we can find the one wire protocal datasheet in psoc designer 4.4 version. how can we interface ds18b20 with onewire protocal.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi sir,

what is the main differance betweeen PSoC and SoC . And what are the advantages of  PSoc compared to soc.

0 Likes
ArvindK_86
Employee
Employee

Hi nalini,

You can find information about the 1-Wire interface and how you can use DS18S20 temp sensors here > AN2163 - PSoC® 1 - Interfacing to 1-Wire/Two-Wire Digital Temperature Sensors using PSoC® 1

Regards,

Arvind

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

The difference between PSoCs and the rest of the embedded world are analog components as comparqators, oppamps, TIAsm sample & holds, track & holds DACs and so on.

In "normal" systems is very often a requirement for signal-conditioning as amplification, filtering etc. With a PSoC you can get a one-chip solution with only a few additional discrete components (if any) making developement, layout. part-count and pcb easier and smaller. A real compülete programmable system on a sole chip.

Bob  

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

I just see (overlooked it)

Designer 4.4 is a rather old version, there have been several updates and corrections yet. I would suggest you download (for free of course) Designer 5.2 from the Cypress website and get familar with it. For older projects it might be necessary to download and install the 5.0 version as well (they are co-existent) to update your projects from versions 4 to 5.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

A lot of other chips do have programable peripherials on chip. But PSOC more like having a reasonable size CPLD and the possibility of routing every type of signal to every pin ( nearly 100 %) makes it better then other chips.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi sir,

Thank you for your information and sir can you clear my doubt amplifiers and filters. in psoc we have programable filters and amplifiers. hOw the gain of amplifier is programed and how the frequency responce of filter is programed.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

For filters:

You pick and place the filter into your designer and right click on the module, you will find a filter design wizard where you can change the type, gain, frequency and sampling clock for your design.   

For amplifiers.:   

You have to place the amplifier into the designer first and then change the properties.   

I think you should download some videos from Cypress to familiar with the operation of the designer.   

🙂

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

...or download and install PSoC Creator 2 and give it a try. Follow the advice to watch the videos, using Creator is really easy!

Bob

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

oops, sorry, my fault: not the Creator, that's for PSoC3 and 5 (although they are great as well) for PSoC1 you'll need Designer 5.2

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

For filter, as previously mentioned, use the wizard, or the Excel

design sheets located (Designer 5.2) in menu item "Help" >

"Documentation" > "Filter Design".

For videos and training go to http://www.cypress.com/?id=1162&source=header

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
ArvindK_86
Employee
Employee

Hi nalini,

Can you tell me more about your application? Usually Instrumentation amplifiers are recommended for medical designs.

They are known as INSAMP in PSoC Designer and can be found under the "Amplifiers" category in User module window.

You will be able to read differential signals as well as amplify them (Gain = 2x to 16x) using INSAMP. Alternatively you can also use a programmable gain amplifier (PGA) with gain upto 48 times input signal.

You can find an example implementation of the INSAMP here > http://www.cypress.com/?id=4&rID=58579

Regards,

Arvind

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi sir ,

i am working on medical application, as u said INSAMP is used and along with that i am using  the modules in  the attached document what i had pin here. here i am measuring some parameters to check health condition of a patient like temperature, heart beat, oxygen concentration, ph level in blood, ecg.

0 Likes
lock attach
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

A Instrumentation amplifier is used when you have high common mode signals you need to

reject. Like EKG rejecting 50/60 cycle common mode pickup.

Attached is a good reference.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
lock attach
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Another good reference.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

And one more reference.

Regards, Dana,

**FILE REMOVED DUE TO COPYRIGHT**   
0 Likes
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi sir,

i am facing a problem with the PSoC 1,  4.4 version software. i installed it in proper way. but while i am doing simple program like lcd display, when i go through application editor  phase after interconnection phase i am getting the window as shown in attached document.the main c program is not coming. sir could you tell me what is that problem.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Only very few people here have access to the (rather old) version 4.4. Why not update to 5.2 and give it a try? As far as I know both versions are co-existent, although you will not be able to open a 4.4 project with 5.2, I think you have to use an intermediate version of 5.0 to accomplish that.

Bob

0 Likes
lock attach
ArvindK_86
Employee
Employee

Nalini,

The LCD usermodule will not show up on the interconnect view as it will not consume any digital blocks. Which means that you cannot place it. 

After selecting it using Config > Selection, when you do a Config > Generate Application you will be able to see the LCD libraries generated.

To view these files, select the Application Editor button and expand the library source files list: (see attached image)

For more information please go through the IDE User Guide in C:\Program Files\Cypress MicroSystems\PSoC Designer\Documentation\

I'm repeating this again, but my sincere recommendation is that you upgrade to the latest version of PSoC Designer (v5.2) software. You will a huge improvement in terms of ease of use and more number of user modules and devices supported.

-Arvind

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

The LCD module does have to be "place"-ed, to configure it mode and choose its

port. It does not, however, show up in routing view.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable

k sir here i am telling the procedure what i am following. first i click psoc designer, and then start new project and there i am giving the name of the project , then cliking on next and then generate main file using c, after that finish. next i am following user module selection  in that i select lcd , next interconnection in that i am giving port 2 and then application editor the following documents shows the procedure.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Doesn't look too bad, next thing would be to "build" your project which will first generate the neccesary bits to set your hardware porperties and connections and second compile all the c sources (some of them have been generated during the first step).

Again: Can you tell us ANY reason why you are relucant to download and install Designer 5.2 which not only has corrected a bunch of errors but also comes with new versions of all the usermodules.

Bob

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Necessary, necessary, necessary, I think I'll never get that right!!!

0 Likes