WICED Sense: not connecting after downloading the latest firmware

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
AnBa_330971
Level 2
Level 2

I purchased a WICED Sense kit and was able to connect to and run the app on an IPhone5 and an Android phone.  However, after compiling and downloading the latest firmware package, the IPhone shows the WICED Sense kit for only a second, which then disappears.  It seems the latest firmware is different from the factory image it originally came with.  Nonetheless, any thoughts on the problem or how to debug would be appreciated.  Attached is a screen shot of the IDE to show the successful compilation and installation.  I've also tried the recovery process.  It seemed to have recovered successfully but the the kit shows the same problem of not staying connected.

Thanks,

Andrew

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried 4.4 and it works.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which Android release are you working on? I tried 4.3 on Galaxy Nexus but can't work But iOS 8 can work. I trying to upgrade the Phone to Android 4.4

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried 4.4 and it works.

0 Likes

I have iOS 8.1.1 and Android 4.4.4.  I am certain it's not the phone because the kit was working with the original factory image.  The issue came up after I compiled and downloaded the latest firmware, WICED_Sense_SDK 2.1_1.2Final.zip.

Andrew

0 Likes

The WICED Sense device was not designed to be a development tool, but many are using it as such.  The device gets bricked very easily.In addition, to constantly switch between Programming and App Mode, you need to break it open and access the reset button inside.

Recovering a bricked device and placing the device into programming mode is talked about inside of various blogs and discussions throughout the site.

If you are just starting your development efforts, I highly encourage you to speak with your local distributor and obtain the more full featured development board and use it for serious development.

j.t

0 Likes

After a few more attempts of recompling/downloading and recovery, the kit is working again.  It works with both iOS8.1.1 and Android 4.4.4 as I stated above.  I'm not certain what has really changed.  I'll start looking at a more complete development board. 

Btw would BCM20737S be able to connect to BCM4329?  We have a custom handheld device with BCM4329, and are trying to develop and connect peripheral devices with BCM20737S.

Thanks,

Andrew

0 Likes

I forgot to mention that I changed the crystal warm-up value.  So that must have been the issue.

Andrew

0 Likes

BCM4329 is a classic Bluetooth device; WICED Sense is BLE only.

Thanks for the info on the crystal warmup workaround.

0 Likes