Flash space inadequate

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

With a little time on the demo board, did a board design with the PSoc3 68pin version.

I've actually been amazed at quickly getting up the JTAG, USB, A/D, D/A's, SPI, filter, various control registers and the like.

But now with little more than test routines and demo code, used more than 32% of flash space.

And our programmer still has to add a user interface !

Yes when push comes to shove, we'll pull off the PSoc3 and go with the deeper PSoc5, but why not have a PSoc3 with more flash ?

Have already gone thru configuration and whittled down the obvious, saving about 1k, but doubt will be able to get any better.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

0 Likes
4 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

The flash limit of 64K is caused by the 8051 core structure. Pointers are only 16 bit wide, the upper bytes of a pointer are used to specify to which memorty area it points to.

30% used already? 10% was used to  program the hardware (components) another part is the firmware for the used components which is not a small amount.

70% free for a user interface can be sufficent, I would be more optimistic.

Bob 

0 Likes
Rolf_Nooteboom
Level 5
Level 5
10 sign-ins 5 solutions authored First solution authored

It's quiet normal the first 20K is used up quickly. This has to do with component api's and included Keil libraries. For example the DeltaSigma ADC component already uses almost 4K of flash.

When I started using PSoC3 I was amazed also how quick the first 30K was used. But, as all components, libraries and startupcode already are placed in flash, you will see how long it takes before you use up the next 10K.

You also have EEPROM you can use for GUI or settings. And only 'bare' code doesn't consume much.

Regards,

Rolf

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

This might help -

http://www.cypress.com/?app=forum&rID=63620

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Much thanks for the consensus. So maybe no "push to shove" afterall.

Yes I recall a number of FPGA usages where I quickly got to 65-70%, but years later never was able to fill it up, or not route it.

And good tips too for later.

Mike

0 Likes