Crystal oscillator Startup issue

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone had issues with the crystal oscillator not starting? I'm using a Kyocera 19.2MHz crystal, CX3225GB series with no luck.  External oscillator input works fine.

0 Likes
10 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

We had the same issue.  It was a power issue.  How are you supplying power to the board?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm using switching regulators.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I should elaborate.  External (non-USB) 5V supply driving on-board switching regulators. I checked the voltage rails and haven't seen any noise problems.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

So apparently, my 19.2MHz crystal is actually an 18.432MHz crystal (thank you Digi-Key) .  I'm assuming this would prevent the oscillator from starting up.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

We are bus powered.  When we plugged a 2.0 USB cable into a wall adapter, the crystal would not work.  When we plugged the same cable into a USB 2.0 port, the crystal worked fine.

Our power lines looked fine, too, but the crystal still didn't work.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting.  I have the ability to bus power my board so I'll try this, if I ever get the right crystal from Digi-Key.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

That crystal should work as well.  I would think....

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

With the correct crystal installed, the FX3 works with either USB bus power or the ac adapter.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Grreat! Took you exactly one week to get it to work. Who pays for the mistake?

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Digi-Key was very happy to send me the wrong part, again.  After that I gave up and ordered a new oscillator.  Ultimately, it's always the developer that pays for these mistakes.

0 Likes