ADC-to-PC Data Acquisition Project

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hopefully this post will become a resource for you guys wanting a ADC-to-PC solution.

I'm having limited success developing a complete solution that allows me to collect and display data from the PSoC's ADC to a PC. I've read several threads with the same issues, but there doesn't seem to be any complete solutions. I would prefer an USB solution, but at this point I will settle for a serial port solution.

Please, could anyone that has a working ADC to PC solution (USB or Serial) upload their project files here for myself and others to learn from!

0 Likes
23 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

A new App Note for PSoC3/PSoC5 will be made available to everybody soon. This App Note will address this very issue. A C# GUI is provided with this App Note, that will accumulate ADC samples from Delsig ADC(PSoC3 and PSoC5) or SAR ADC(PSoC5 only). The GUI will provide a histogram plot of the ADC sample collected. It wil also provide Various analog parameters(RMS Noise, P to P Noise) and ENOB values. Using this tool one can characterise the analog performance of the board that has been designed. 

The PSoC3/PSoC5 project provided consists of ADC alone. Users can modify this project to have other analog modules and get an estimate of various analog parameters of the entire system. 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

@U2 .. What is the App Note Reference No.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        seeing as many appnotes seem delayed,is there some way that the non-employee members of the Cypress Developer Community could assist with appnotes?   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is required?

Read An analog signal, send it to 232 port? What do you expected from the 232 port, a number say x.xxV? Are you using hyperterminal for receiving and display the value?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

This feature - data from PSOC (from ADC or whatever) streaming via USB to PC is also important to me.

Also - what plans if any for USB 2.0 Hi or later on PSOC?

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

My admScope project might what you are looking for. Look at http://www.cypress.com/?id=3312&conID=235 for a video, and at http://www.cypress.com/?app=forum&id=2233&rID=51610 for a discussion, and links to the latest code. Basically its a 2-channel scope with an 8-bit logic analyzer. It can be used stand-alone, or with a PC client (using Jawi's OLS client).

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello we are working on this. At this point of time, I can give you some preliminary information. Please wait until the final project is made available on the web. The tool will be called "Cypress Analog Performance Analyser". It will run windows platform with .Net Framework 3.5. It can talk to PSoC via USB and UART. It can be used to characterise Delsig and SAR ADC performance or the performance of any analog system. Please note that these performance are also dependent on the noise levels on your specific board. More about the tool can be found in the App Note that will be released. Here is a "sneak peek preview" of the tool, for the PSoC freaks on the forum !

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice  Any idea when the tool will be released?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I want to read the analog values and display on the PC. I have PSOC 3 FTK kit.. So how to do it?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi priyank,

Which communication interface would you like to use?

You can use UART to send the converted ADC values to PC via Hyperterminal. For this you'll have to use external MAX232 to convert the data to RS232 level.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was thinking of using UART..... Also, can I use that only cable from which I program my PSOC? As in other microcontrollers such as Arduino there is a option that u can read and write the values. Can this thing be done PSOC?  

But at this forum, I came to know about the tool they have talked above. Is it released? Thanxs for the reply......

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey priyank,

as already pointed out,you will need an external TTL->232 converter,if you intend to do UART.

Also,the mini-usb cable that you use for your PSoC FTK can not be used for serial communication,UART or USB.

The FTK can not do USB based designs out of the box.(Which is one of the many reasons I find it to be a crappy kit.)

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Priyank, you need to undersatnd that, in Arduino the UART interface is USBUART interface. The FT232 on the arduino board connects to PC via USB abd talks to the controller over UART. Even in PSoC you can place a USB component to implement a USBUART interface and connect the device to a PC over USB. If you are thinking about using the same port for programming as well, then you got to implement a USB Bootloader, the Arduino implememts a similar logic. The tool will be released soon, we are making some final changes. But the tool is available for download somewhere on the forum, a little bit fo searching should get you there.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanxs a lot for reply...

In reply to U2, so you are implying that I can use this in my PSOC 3 FTK. Can u give me some more details of how to implement it. It will be very useful for me. As I am having FTK kit so I cant use that USBUART. As I read somewhere it works for development board kits. Thanxss

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Priyank, please see this link, http://www.cypress.com/?app=forum&id=2233&rID=45003. Here you can find a cool way of how to hack in to the FTK to get a fully functional USB on your board. Once you have that ready, you can program PSoC's USB to function as USBUART. Then you need to be able to bootload over USBUART. Once you are done with the first 2 steps we cqan look at Bootloader later.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi 

I a new user.I am designing a circuit with PSoC3 for data acquisition from 32 channel . Initially I am asked to draw a schematic of the circuit.Please help me in achieving this.

0 Likes

Not a good idea to revive a 5 year old thread....

I would suggest to use the topdesign schematic. Under the build-menu you can create a project datasheet which contains the drawings. Switch to "Datasheet" view to access the generated .pdf file.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

yea ..but really worried.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any news about the app note or the analog performance analyser software?

My project is slightly different: I want to to read analog values and send them wirelessly to the computer. To achieve it I have two wireless modules with SPI interface: one must be connected to the PSoC (transmitter) and the other to the computer (receiver). So I need another device to connect the USB port of the PC to the SPI port of the receiver module (as far as I know PCs don't have SPI ports).

Any hint on how to SPI to USB?

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Here is an ap, free for non commercial applications, thats very extensive in its

plotting and collecting capability. UART, USB, ETHERNET

http://www.selmaware.com/stampplot/index.htm

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Quijote

There are several off-the-shelf USB to SPI protocol converter chips that you can use. Cypress does not have one but you can easily use a uC to do the protocol convertion.

These app notes may help you:

AN50989 - PSoC® 1 - USB TO SPI Bridge using PSoC1  http://www.cypress.com/?rID=34330

AN14558 - Implementing a SPI Interface with EZ-USB FX2LP™ http://www.cypress.com/?rID=49544

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

hey i am working over a project on oscilloscope in my laptop using psoc

that is converting analog signal to digital using psoc adc convertor and plotting in my system using a data logger   

but i have a problem that i don't have com port for serial communication (uart) in my laptop so help me finding a data   

logger software which uses usb port for communication between psoc and laptop   

reply me its urgent    
0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Here is an ap, free for non commercial applications, thats very extensive in its

plotting and collecting capability. UART, USB, ETHERNET

http://www.selmaware.com/stampplot/index.htm

You can also just get a UART to USB dongle for your Laptop.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes