Kit LCD Displays

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Some comments about the LCD displays Cypress ships with DVK -

1) They are puke green, there are several high contrast displays, like white on blue that are equally cheap

and intrinsically easier to read.

2) No backlght, no reason these days not to have a LED B/L, adds pennies to cost of display. Right now,

all the kits I have, I use a separate HID light I shine on board/LCD so I can see the display. Otherwise

in moderate room lighting they are very difficult to read. You would have to make notes to users regarding

impact on current drain in kit.

3) Display viewing angles poor, the technology has moved on in this area. I am sure you can get one

with wider viewing angles.

3) Offer a store item for 4 x 20, some other common form factors. Also OLED plug compatible

solution.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Danna,

We have provided the provision for switching ON LCD backlight in few of the Dev kits by connecting 0E resistor to pin 15 of the LCD display. By using backlight LCD you can get better viewing angles also.   

Regards,   

Ronak Desai   
0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Just a thought, but you can contact manufacturers representatives, bring them in

for a meeting, and they can show you current technology displays. Discuss what's

changed, contrast/view angle/various enhancements. And many will meet your

cost goals with a superior display.

As an aside, B/L does not always intrinsically mean you get better viewing angles.

Look at papers on the optical path, and various problems, solutions, and phenomena.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes