Digital Signal Interconnect(DSI) User clocks in PSOC3

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi ...

i am not understanding what's the use of DSI user clocks in psoc 3......

In the following document,

www.cypress.com/?docID=38964..... In page 5 it is mentioned that, "to use digital signals as clock sources in the DSI, they should be named in the PSOC creator schematic interface".....

my doubt is what's the input we should give at this Digital Input pin.....to generate the required frequency signal..... 

my requirement is to generate 4MHz signal with /- 0% accuracy without using XTAL.....however, this accuracy may not be possible with IMO....thats why iam looking at this DSI.... so, can any one please help me what is its usage and how to configure it...

0 Likes
3 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

You cannot have a clock with 0% tolerance even when using an X-tal there will be a precision of some ppm.

So what I read from your post is, that you need a precise clock. Full stop.

The precision of the IMO is given in the PSoC datasheet and is about 5%.

If that is not enough you HAVE to use an X-tal as reference, preferrably a 24 MHz one. Now the precision of your (any) clock derived from this source depends on the precision of that equipment.

Since all clocks are derived from either the IMO (that's where the "M" stands for) or from (the VERY unprecise) ILO you'll have no other choice.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

A singal with +-0% ?

I think even crystal still specify Xppm which is still not 0%.

There are new MEMS clock source that are low ppm but not sure if you can find 0%.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

There is a method of achieving very high precision measurements, like T, V, I, Freq.

Attached is a simple diagram of the hardware used.

Basically hi accuracy data communicated to processor, and processor measures deviation from actual,
building tables of correction factors. This is done at production test, and can include T and V variations.

You cannot achieve 0%, all signal generation has some noise and uncertainty associated with it. But
you can get sub ppm performance with this method.

The only drawback is component value changes over time, unless those are well understood they
compromise total accuracy over time that can be achieved.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes