PSoC3 Proximity activation problem

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello everybody,

I have a problem activating the proximity in my PSoC3 - CY8C3245LTI-163.

I have created the widgets: 6 buttons and 1 proximity sensor. Proximity is connected to pin64 - P2[2] (68pin package).

Six buttons are working properly without putting anything in my main code, proximity not. I have connected the tuner via EZI2C module and I can see that buttons graphics are alive with noise and sense touches, proximity are perfectly flat and zero.

Do I miss something?

Thanks

Nicola

0 Likes
11 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

You are right, probably you are missing something.

From forgetting to initialize something to mis-connect a pin, every offer is usually taken granted (smile).

To help you better you may post your complete project here so that we all can have a look at.

To do so: in Creator select

Build -> Clean Project

File -> Create Workspace Bundle (minimal)

and then upload here the resulting archieve.

Happy Zipping

Bob

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Bob for your prompt reply. Unfortunately I have a lot of code in the project I cannot publish so I have too much to do before zip the project 😞

Fortunately I have made another step: I have inserted the widget activation

CapSense_1_EnableWidget(CapSense_1_SENSOR_PROXIMITYSENSOR0_0__PROX);

And finally the proximity seems alive. But, it responds only if I fisically touch the sensor, not like proximity. It's worse than the other buttons!

Could you give any suggestion without viewing the project? Attached you can find config parameters and a graph of proximity sensor. You can see there is no noise and the signal is achieved only I fisically touch the sensor.

Many thanks

Nicola

0 Likes
lock attach
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Attached is the (working) configuration from the "Proximity" project for FirstTouch PSoC5.

I would suggest you to start with these settings and check out if they deliver a reasonable result.

Bob

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

By the way: are you using Creator 2.1, Capsense_CSD 3.20 ?

Bob

0 Likes
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

here I'm back again. Thanks Bob for your configuration file. I've found low performance and I'm now working with manual calibration of capsense. There is my config file attached.

I'm using Creator 2.0 component pack 3 and Capsense 3.10. Is there better improvements in capsense 3.20? and in creator 2.1?

Another thing, is there a way to use Tuner without blocking my program interaction with capsense? If I use Capsense_TunerComm() in my main() capsense will no longer work in my program, only with tuner. Any solution to use both?

Many thanks

Nicola

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Looking at the component history there were relevant changes for PSoC3 ES2 and PSoC5 in version 3.10. So I would go for the latest revisions anyway.

The tuner is thought as to interact with your capsense directly and so gives you the chance to adapt its con figuration to your pcb and the sensor sizes/characteristcs and so on.

I would suggest you to write a (very) small program which runs on your project hardware and only uses / interacts with the capsense proximity sensor and the tuner. When you fixed that, you may continue and add the capsense buttons.

Happy coding

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will consider to update my component.

About the tuner, I  cannot use the tuner and the normal firmware in the same time, is it right?

With PSoC 1 I was used to interact with the device with the normal firmware and read value with the Multi Chart software and it was very useful to understand the interaction between signals on the board and touch capabilities. Is it possible to have the same functionality in the PSoC3 ?

Thanks

Nicola

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

I didn't say that you cannot use the tuner and your project sw at the same time, I demanded not to do that. When any part of your program has an unwanted side-effect you will see that instantly and you can eliminate this kind of error.

So getting the buttons and the proximity sensor to work and see whether they run under project conditions as well.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here again,

thanks Bob, now Tuner and firmware is working together. I missed that, using Tuner in the firmware, you have to open and start it to let the other part of the program work. If the Tuner is stopped nothing is working.

Now I have seen problems coming out. I have problems in proximity range. To achieve proximity range I used the IDAC range of 32 uA, but in this case I have false detection related to the LEDs current flowing near the proximity sensor. On the other hand if I use 255 uA IDAC range I have a too low prox detection. Which kind of parameters can I tune better?

Have a nice day

Nicola

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

I'm afraid that this will need deep insight into Capsense and your project. At this point I would suggest you to file a technical case to Cypress and get professional help from a Cypress ingeneer.

Go to Support -> Technical Support -> Create a Case

and fill out the form.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok Bob, Thanks

Nicola

0 Likes