Destroyed Chip on CY8KIT - 014 PSoC 5 Starter Kit

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey everybody

I have been so unfortunate to short circuit an input/output on my CY8CKIT - 014 PSoC 5 first touch starter kit the incident made the migic smoke disappear from the chip type: CY8C5568AXI-060ES1 on the kit. As far as I am aware this chip type is an engeneering sample and I have not able to retrieve it anywhere.

And now the big one is it possible to replace the CY8C5568AXI-060ES1 chip with the CY8C5568AXI-060 chip and get a usuful result or in other words does the firmware on the USB - chip match the one on the production chip?

If anyone can come up with another solution of any type please let me know. The biggest problem of all is that the kit is not made anymore so it is not a solution to buy a new except any of you guys in here knows a place?

Best regards

Anders         

0 Likes
7 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which particular set of pins did you short together?

You can very well replace the CY8C5568AXI-060ES1 with non-ES1 part. It will work !!

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I shorted P4_6 to GND with a 0-5V PWM-signal and now it does not work at all. 

Thanks for your reply i think i will try the non -ES1 chip then. 

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

I am sorry, but that will not work as expected. The x-tal inputs are connected on that board with the accellerometer which is not allowed on production silicon and will not be supported by your Creator software.

When compiling a project there are some hints:

Note: This project targets evaluation silicon (ES) that is not available for purchase. Be sure to use production-approved parts to ensure future support.

Note: The PSoC 5 FirstTouch Kit (CY8CKIT-014) uses the XTAL pins as GPIO to the accelerometer, which is not allowed in production devices. Do not re-target kit projects if you wish to use the accelerometer.

Bob

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

According to the pinout table P4_6 is just connected to J2 pin 7, the accel

pinout attached screen shot.

If P4_6 was connected to a PWM output, and P4_6 was an I or O, shorting

to ground would not have damaged chip. Due to the high Rdson of the high

side driver limiting current sourced out of the pin.

Is the CPU still running, and that pin non functional, or whole board not programming,

debugging ?

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

We used the PWM to control a DC motor through a MOSFET, but we had to verify the result with an oscilloscope. We used Pin 4_6 as an additional output for the oscilloscope which was also connected to GND. Unfortunately we shorted the oscillocope Pins while they where both connected to the PSoC kit and the Oscillocope. First the computer USB port did cut the power to the kit and then when we reconnected to another USB the Chip emitted quite a lot of smoke due to its size so now nothing really works. 

Anders     

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bob

Thanks Bob I am aware that things will be different 🙂

My biggest concern is that i am using the kit for for my education and thereby I will get around all the kit functions so if the accelerometer will not work on the production silicon that solution will not be compatible with my use of the kit..     

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Although the Kit-014 is no longer produced I recently saw some of them at a distributor's website, so if all other fails you might still get a new one

or

get a Kit -50 which has some space for a bredboard area (See this video http://www.cypress.com/?rID=60713 ) and which comes with a small two-line LCD (see specs http://www.cypress.com/?rID=51577&source=shop).

Bob

0 Likes