USB 3.0 otg

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there any reference schematic that use CYUSB3014 as a OTG controller? Or information about how to connect the CYUSB3014 in order to work as a USB OTG device.

0 Likes
20 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

You can use the existing DVK board to test the OTG functionality. Connect a USB 3.0 cable to the "USB connector" available on the DVK.  But you need an extra USB A female to A female connector as shown in the below page:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-A-Female-to-A-Female-Coupler-Converter-Adapter-Connector-Joiner-Ca...

Thanks,

sai krishna.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply,

May I know how should I configurate the jumper and switch setting in the DVK so that the DVK can work as a USB OTG device? If I want to design a OTG device, do I need to attach a external FPGA processor or just use the onboard ARM processor is enough?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Alanlee,

Please refer to the following application note:

http://www.cypress.com/?rID=62942

For jumper and switch settings, please refer to 7th page of the same application note.

Let me know if you need any more details.

Thanks,

sai krishna.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply.
Sorry to ask, because I am new to USB 3.0 OTG.

I want to know what is the usage of CYUSB3014 onboard ARM processor? Can this ARM processor solely act as a processor for USB OTG host function or we need to attach an external processor to achieve the USB OTG functionality using CYUSB3014 controller?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

CYUSB3014 alone can act as standalone host.

What are the devices that you are planning to connect to CYUSB3014 host.

Thanks,

sai krishna.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, thanks for the reply

I think, I am going to interface the CYUSB3014 with an external processor. Sorry for the long list of question.

1) Is the x86 architecture processor such as Intel Atom able to interface with the CYUSB3014?

2) When I attach an external processor, is all those PMODE, SPI, I2C, UART and JTAG circuitries can be removed from the CYUSB3014?

3) In the DVK schematic, what is the capacitor label as OPEN stand for in the "3.3V@1.5A Regulator" section?

4) What are those "TP_LOOP_" in the schematic? Is it stand for test point for testing purposes only?

Wish you can help me answer my enquiries.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Someone please answer my enquiries...Thanks

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

My answers are mentioned below:

1) Is the x86 architecture processor such as Intel Atom able to interface with the CYUSB3014?

CYUSB3014 supports many interfaces on the GPIF side. It supports asynchronous SRAM, synchronous and asynchronous ADMUX, synchronous slave FIFO and asynchronous slave FIFO.

So you just need to findout the interface supported by your ecternal processor to hook up with  CYUSB3014.

2) When I attach an external processor, is all those PMODE, SPI, I2C, UART and JTAG circuitries can be removed from the CYUSB3014?

PMODE pins decide the booting options for CYUSB3014. It could be either from SPI flash or I2C EEPROM or USB or from P-port side. So you need to connect these PMODE pins based on the booting option that you choose.

As I mentioned above, SPI, I2C acts as booting source for CYUSB3014. UART and JTAG are for debugging the firmware that runs on CYUSB3014.

3) In the DVK schematic, what is the capacitor label as OPEN stand for in the "3.3V@1.5A Regulator" section?

Yes. You don't have to connect any capacitor. But footprint is reserved for a capacitor incase if we need to connect in future.

4) What are those "TP_LOOP_" in the schematic? Is it stand for test point for testing purposes only?

Yes.

Thanks,

sai krishna.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, Sai Krishna

What is mean by the resistor with a label 'DNL'?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

DNL - Do Not Load.

The resistors marked with DNL are not loaded/placed on the board. The footprints are reserved incase if we need to connect those resistors.

Thanks,

sai krishna.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, Sai Krishna

Based on the CYUSB3014 datasheet, the VIO1 until 5 are stated as an independent supply domains that able to supply voltage from 1.8V to 3.3V.

Why in the DVK schematic, all VIO1 to 5 pin are receiving power from the external regulator? I thought VIO1 to 5 are suppose to provide power?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

May I know what is the function of I2C_Charger_Detect (Pin D11) in the DVK schematic?

Thanks

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

FX3 has various power supply domains: like IO_VDDQ (VIO1- VIO5), VDD, VBUS/VBAT, i.e. to allow the particular modules to operate at a particular (or different) voltage level independent of others.

But these need to be powered by the user externally, which in turn powers up the respective modules. in DVK, all these power supplies are derived from VBUS (powered operation).

Regards,

Gayathri

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, Gayathri

Thanks for the reply. But may I know what is the function of I2C_Charger_Detect (Pin D11) in the DVK schematic?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

May I know what is the function of I2C_Charger_Detect (Pin D11) in the DVK schematic?

Thanks

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I will check on the same and get back to you soon. 

Regards,

Gayathri

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I2C_CHARGER_DETECT pin is actually the CHARGER_DETECT output pin, which is used to signal the presence of a charger after the core power up. It has got nothing to with I2C.

Regards,

Gayathri

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

If I am not planning to use the battery and the device is plug in to a power supply to function, what is the configuration of the "Charger Detect" Pin?

Ground it or left unconnected?

Thanks 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

You can leave it unconnected, since it is an O/P pin.

Regards,

Gayathri

0 Likes