Using CyConsole with custom driver and custom GUID

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

On the CyConsole.pdf user's guide  at the very bottom there is a chapter explaining how to use CyConsole to connect to a driver with a different GUID. More precisely there is written:

CyConsole was designed with provision for connecting to other CyUSB.sys drivers that have different GUIDs. On the Misc. tab sheet you will notice a drop-down list labelled Access devices attached to this driver . The drop-down list is populated with the file names of all copies of CyUSB.sys that are installed in the system. (It gathers the list from the Windows registry.)

According to this my first question is: if I want my custom driver (with my custom VID and GUID) is it ok to copy the cyusb.sys and the cyusb.inf, change their name to mydevice.sys and mydevice.inf and modify the INF file with my VID and GUID?

Secondly, I tried this approach, then I signed my driver and I installed it (now it is located under System32\drivers\mydevice.sys) but still I do not see any other driver in the drop-down list in the Misc. tab. What am I missing? (I'm using Windows 7 64bit).

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable
0 Likes
20 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Please attach the inf file. I would like to take a look.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is the file where I've simply substituted the company name.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Please upload it.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried to upload it already before. Do you see now the uploaded file?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't file with extension .inf can be uploaded. Please change the extension to .txt and upload. That should work.

Regards,

Anand

0 Likes
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable

Before I tried by zipping it. Now I'm trying by changing the extension. Hope it works

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems the file is now uploaded. Can you see it?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Yes. Let me check it.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

What architecture is your processor?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

x64

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Is it Intel Itanium or any other architecture?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's an Intel Xeon E5420

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Try with the attached file. I got it working in windows 7(64bit) and Vista(64bit) machine with driver name xxx.sys.

Thanks

Prajith

0 Likes
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I did several tests and now it seems to work. thanks a lot

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi PRJI:

this inf file seems to be universal?meens not specific for win7 64bit? and you still have to resart with F8 to get the xxx.sys work(xxx.sys is cyusb.sys with a different name)?

Secondly, what about the bottom GUID in the inf file? changing it leads my device to be unrecognizale to the cyusb.sys, how can  solve this? thank you.

B.R.,

WH

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

This inf file seems to be universal?meens not specific for win7 64bit? and you still have to resart with F8 to get the xxx.sys work(xxx.sys is cyusb.sys with a different name)?  >> Yes.

Secondly, what about the bottom GUID in the inf file? changing it leads my device to be unrecognizale to the cyusb.sys, how can  solve this?

>> Applications software usually accesses the driver using the driver's Global Unique IDentifier (GUID).Each driver in the Windows system should have a unique GUID. By employing distinct GUIDs, multipleinstances of CYUSB3.SYS from different hardware vendors can exist on a given system without colliding.

I would suggest you to change "CyConst.SetClassGuid("{CDBF8987-75F1-468e-8217-97197F88F773}");" in your host application with your GUID.

Thanks

Prajith

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

apologize for the above wrong post about custom GUID.

Its not classGUID, its customer GUID, but before going to the APIs please let me know which library are you using, CyAPI.lib or Cyusb.dll,?

Regards

Prajith

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Thank you for your reply. I'm using CYUSB.dll, wanna change the "CYUSB.GUID= "{AE18AA60-7F6A-11d4-97DD-00010229B959}"  " in the inf. 

Thks

0 Likes