bare bones OP-AMP functionality on-chip

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi developers,

for one of my applications i need to implement an analog integrator using an On-chip PSoC block. can any of the existing analog modules can be configured in such a way that i can access all the standard op amp pins i.e. the inverting terminal,the non-inverting terminal and the output unhindered by other components.

0 Likes
20 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

An integrator with a maximum of flexibility can be made with an ADC and some timers/PWMs. Every parameter can be adjusted by programming, stored in EEProm, changed automatically or by pushbutton.... Everything is possible, you are in the world of PSoCs!!!

Bob

0 Likes
MR_41
Employee
Employee
First like received

Check out AN2223.  This shows how a naked op amp can be created using an SC block. Though this does not give you all the three terminals of the op amp on pins, maybe you could use this op amp for your application.

Best Regards,

Ganesh

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks ganesh and bob

i am going through the application note...

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi developers,

can you suggest me any application note which explains how to configure a switched capacitor block as an analog integrator. my prime need is that once started,this integrator should operate concurrently with other modules. it should not use CPU except at the time of initialisation.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Check out Appendix G of application note AN2041 (http://www.cypress.com/?rID=2899). It gives the settings to be made in SCBLOCK generic user module parameters.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

What is the actual use of the OpAmp as integrator, filter, control loop ?

You need the NI pin for ?

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

I see I got sucked into posting on a 10 year old thread.

Ignore all.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Dana, I can assure you the thread is "only" 10 MONTHS old. Nevertheless I would like to see that the forum-software even blocks Cypress-employees to reply to out-dated threads or at least have them informed of that fact.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dana and Bob, my work is not limited to solve one particular person's problem. As you can see the thread was left unreplied to the user's specific question since 29th Feb 2012. My response was not only to address the thread creator's question, but was to address much larger audience who can benefit from this. For your information, the application note AN2041 was updated 2 quarters back to include information on quick settings required for different SC block applications. 

By the way, I would have replied even if the thread was 10 years old. 

-Rajiv Badiger  

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Rajiv,

my reply did not address you and your mission to supply us with worthy informations but this , well, crippled forum software that suffers from many shortcomings of which is the hint of posting to an old thread is one of the lesser ones.

Of course I did follow your link in the post (like all us top-contributors do) reveilling it was updated last october. When you compare the (old) header of the thread with the information you supplied us with, you can see what I mean: When someone is searching for information, he'll (or she'll) most likely not find your hint. I like to get informed about updated AppNotes if it is not too much to read for a day.

Another shortcoming of the forum software is that it crashes when I try to insert a smiley.

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Rajiv, re-educating the planet that the earth is round on a periodic basis probably
not a productive use of anyones time. Especially yours, we need your expertise on
stuff going forward, clerical stuff no. Am I wrong ?

Your point "My response was not only to address the thread creator's question",
is the original poster really watching this ? I have my doubts.

And "address much larger audience who can benefit from this", look at the number
of views on your re-education posts, if they are meaningful, then why limit yourself
to 10 year old posts ? Why not start at the very beginning of the forums and reply
to everything. If #views not meaningful, then the value of your time has been lost.

As far as ap notes updated, Cypress has a very good URL link to its ap notes showing
by ascending date order revisions. I use that quite regularly. Why not at forum summary
page that shows highlighted link to that at top, therefore eliminating update threads in

the forum. After all too much info is equally as bad as too little. Maybe a video link as well.

Cypress forum is very important, not because somebody tells me an ap note has been
updated, or an old thread completed to your satisfaction, without the orginal posters
input per se. It is because the forum reveals problems many of us have not necessarily
tackled, shares the ones we have, and generally speaking is forward looking. Your method
may wind up responding to obsolete device threads, people dead threads, designs long
since finished.....

We need your expertise as an experienced EE, not as a cleric.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Wow! Dana!!!!!!

(twinkle)

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Professor, first of all, this is neither "10 YEAR" old thread nor the device is obsolete.  The thread may be obsolete for the creator. But not for others. 

I don't want to make this thread a boxing court. Leave this matter here. You have a different opinion than mine. No use in trying to find who is correct. 

-Rajiv Badiger

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Rajiv,

no one wants to make a boxing court out of this here!

But when the two top-contributors of ths forum are telling you that tey are not quite satisfied with the way you act here then a bit of insight would not be as bad.

You should consider who is to benefit from this forum. Cypress? Cypress's customers?? Or even both???

And I will not take advices like  "Leave this matter here" when it is of interest for us or me.

If you do not want to discuss that openly you may always get my office-email address.

Bob.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good. It would be better to discuss with moderator ARVI. We can discuss about this when cypress reopens on 2nd Jan.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Well, yes, if he doesn't shoot at us... (smiley)

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

He is on 2000KM motor bike trip. Should be back by 2nd Jan.

You should use chrome. It works! 

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

People always have encountered problems so I was told, when trying to upload project-archives with Chrome.

Bob

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

No statement from Arvid yet concerning the posting matter?

Bob

0 Likes
ArvindK_86
Employee
Employee
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins 10 solutions authored

First of all, before I jump into this (healthy?) quarrel over here, I was greatly shaken by Bob's complaint- 

"Another shortcoming of the forum software is that it crashes when I try to insert a smiley"

This is the saddest thing to happen to any forum.. trully disheartening, what use is any forum software if we can't express our emotions right? .. (sob), (wink)  

Jokes apart, what Rajiv was trying to express here is that he doesn't care about spending time for replying to an old and orphaned thread, even if it might not be being followed by anyone. And I guess the justification is that it is still indexed and will appear in the search results. So someone performing a search on the topic in the forum or even on Google, would be redirected to the thread, which now has some sort of "resolution" or "closure" to the originally posted question. 

Dana and Bob, the root cause here is clearly because of the lack of information provided by the forum alert mechanism, which might have led you to believe that this is a new topic, hence stealing some of your time in replying to it. 

I also understand how our Top Contributors would feel to get dragged back into a topic which they felt was resolved long back. I agree to Dana's comment that forum topics should be forward looking; after all the most active part of the forum is on the new threads.

We all know that there is need for forum features like "This thread is solved/closed" tag, or a little icon to the left of the thread hinting its age, etc. 

There is no doubt that the present forum software (< jan 2013) is not upto standards. It may have been mentioned elsewhere, but I wish to re-post here that the Developer Community forum software/engine IS BEING IMPROVED. I wish for your co-operation and patience till we achieve this task, which should by itself solve and prevent such issues from occuring in the future. It is difficult for me to provide all the fine details but we are looking at a totally revamped community forum which fills the gaps of the present software and more, with a launch sometime in the first half of this year.

I will let you in on the list of features that will be present in the new version of the forum, in the form of a separate thread, soon.

0 Likes