PSoC5 LP UART receiver with a RX buffer greater than 4 bytes

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
AuKa_264411
Level 3
Level 3
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 5 replies posted

I have a project that uses the UART. With the buffer set to 4 bytes it works fine, reading the status and the byte under polling software control (no address bits, interrupts or anything complicated). When I expand the RX buffer beyond the 4 bytes, my software stops "seeing" any data. In other words the RX_STS_FIFO_NOTEMPTY does not appear to be set when data is present at the Rx pin. I am unclear as to what I need to do to be able to read the buffer. I cannot find an example anywhere. The data sheet says "Buffer sizes greater than 4 bytes require the use of interrupts to handle moving the data from the receive FIFO into this buffer. The UART_GetChar() or UART_ReadRXData() functions get data from the correct source without any changes to your top-level firmware".  Am I supposed to be writing this interrupt driver? The implication to me is that it is added in the build process, otherwise if I am doing this myself why would I need to specify the size of the buffer for the component.

In short, what do I need to do to get the UART to work with a buffer greater than 4 bytes?

As a secondary question (and perhaps associated), the data sheet also says "When the RX buffer size is greater than 4 bytes, the Internal RX Interrupt ISR is automatically enabled and the RX-On Byte Received interrupt source is selected and disabled for use..." I find this a little confusing. Is the interrupt permanently enabled or disabled? Can you use it in the above interrupt driver?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

When the buffer is increased to morer than 4 bytes the INTERNAL interrupt is automatically enabled. The service-routine will now retrieve any characters and store them in the buffer. So there will never be a statusbit indicating a character to be ready to be seen.

There are two choices:

1st. Write your own interrupt driven buffer-handling (circular buffer) which is a pretty good exercise for learning (smile)

2nd. Poll the buffer for characters stored and retrieve them. There is an API named UART_GetRxBufferSize() which does not return the allocated size of the buffer as one would suggest, but returns the number of characters stored so far. With UART_GetByte() you may retrieve the characters.

Happy coding

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

When the buffer is increased to morer than 4 bytes the INTERNAL interrupt is automatically enabled. The service-routine will now retrieve any characters and store them in the buffer. So there will never be a statusbit indicating a character to be ready to be seen.

There are two choices:

1st. Write your own interrupt driven buffer-handling (circular buffer) which is a pretty good exercise for learning (smile)

2nd. Poll the buffer for characters stored and retrieve them. There is an API named UART_GetRxBufferSize() which does not return the allocated size of the buffer as one would suggest, but returns the number of characters stored so far. With UART_GetByte() you may retrieve the characters.

Happy coding

Bob

0 Likes
AuKa_264411
Level 3
Level 3
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 5 replies posted

Bob

Thanks- does this mean that the error detection on a byte by byte basis is lost? Obviously you would expect there to be no OE/FE as these would be covered by the rxBufferLoopDetect and rxBufferOverflow variables, but what about PE?

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Within the interrupt handler of the UART is a stub where you may insert your own error-handling, have a look into the file

UART_Int.c near line 75

Bob

0 Likes